FE Direct Mail Response Rate

My direct mail response rate to a mailer with no give away has been about .5% in January for 4000 mailers. Any one else getting similar numbers? Really hurts the ROI!! Any suggestions on how to improve the return % and keep the lead quality up?

The mailing was during the OEP and just after the AEP... seniors have been beat to death with mail this year.

Your mailing could have gone out right after someone elses that looked exactly like yours. A lot of mailers use the same looking piece.

Tons of variables.

We are proud to announce a final expense policy that pays full benefits in the amount you choose from 3,000 to 15,000
This program is available to pay full benefits regardless of any other coverage you may have including the Social Security death benefit you may be eligible for.
Return this information request form within 5 days to find out how to qualify for this insurance program. Please indicate the amount you anticipate needing for a funeral.
(check boxes etc)

card-fe-1-01-thumb.png

Did Your mailing look something like this. I've seen a lot of these lately.

card-fe-10-08-thumb.png

Here are two mailings I've seen lately. It looks like everyone mails out the same thing.

That's funny. Those same old tired mail pieces are still being used... :D

Every mail house and their brother uses that same piece. So you get agent B using mail house A2 and agent F using mail house G4 and agent R using mail house W5 all mailing the same are withing a few weeks of each other... and they wonder why returns are so low.

Lazy companies making money off lazy agents.

I'll tell you a secret: You ever wonder why mail houses want the returns coming back to them? So you don't see how many "bad" addresses you just paid them to mail to. That and they have them pre-printed so it keeps cost down, but how much would it cost to have the return address printed at the time of mailing... maybe $30-50 per 1000 mailed.

I did some expensive research and then stopped using direct mail houses.

I had a couple of mailings done and paid the extra for buying the list in excel format. Then paid to have it mailed with my own card at first class rate (at first class rate they have to "return to sender" all bad or undeliverable items). I never got back less than 10% due to bad information.

I would rather have a 1% return rate on a quality lead than a 3% rate on junk.

Best piece ever is a pic of a dead lady laying in a casket with the funeral director standing with the grieving kids shoving a clipboard in their face with INVOICE at the top.

Then on the back side - it has a pic of an agent handing the same dead lady a life insurance policy - and saying:

" They'll Be Glad You Planned Ahead" . . .

Tom

Classic!

Can I ask a couple dumb questions? I'm not a licensed agent, I'm just working on a marketing study on how agents attract prospects and I'm curious on a couple items-

1. In the "tired" mail piece above, why not have the call to action be an inbound call or at least a combination of call or return mail? It seems that may generate a higher response, but this is coming from someone outside the industry looking in, so I am just curious on your expertise opinions.

2. What is a good rule of thumb goal on ROI for $$ spent on direct mail advertising? (i.e. if it's .30 per piece in mail and it generates a 1% response, is $30 per prospect worth the cost of a direct mailer?)

3. Anyone test further any offers to drive up the response rates, I see the "FREE Memorial Guide Book" offer listed below, but are there any other "incentives" that anyone has tested to get a stronger response?

Thanks all for any insight you can give, appreciate the help,

MarketingStudy

Back