FE Reduced Issue Ages

Well, I got this email from Gerber earlier today:

Gerber Life
Operations Announcement

COVID-19 UNDERWRITING UPDATE

Due to the outbreak of COVID–19, we are making a change to our underwriting procedures for our Gerber Life Whole Life policy.

For life insurance applications received as of April 3, 2020 and thereafter, the following underwriting guidelines will be implemented until further notice:

For applicants over age 60, any policy issued must be standard or better and the proposed insured must have no history of lung disease or heart disease and must not show signs of frailty. For applicants age 60 and under, applications will be processed as normal.

Please refer to our underwriting manuals on the Gerber Life Agent Portal for additional information and requirements.

For questions, please feel free to contact your General Agent or the Gerber Life Agency Support Team at 1.800.428.4947, Monday – Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., EST.

Thank you for your understanding during these unusual and challenging times.

Sincerely,

Gerber Life Insurance Company

Well, I got this email from Gerber earlier today:

Gerber Life
Operations Announcement

COVID-19 UNDERWRITING UPDATE

Due to the outbreak of COVID–19, we are making a change to our underwriting procedures for our Gerber Life Whole Life policy.

For life insurance applications received as of April 3, 2020 and thereafter, the following underwriting guidelines will be implemented until further notice:

For applicants over age 60, any policy issued must be standard or better and the proposed insured must have no history of lung disease or heart disease and must not show signs of frailty. For applicants age 60 and under, applications will be processed as normal.

Please refer to our underwriting manuals on the Gerber Life Agent Portal for additional information and requirements.

For questions, please feel free to contact your General Agent or the Gerber Life Agency Support Team at 1.800.428.4947, Monday – Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., EST.

Thank you for your understanding during these unusual and challenging times.

Sincerely,

Gerber Life Insurance Company

Sounds like that doesn’t apply to their GI plan which is mostly what agents write.

I don't know why not. Just means don't send in money with the app. Or the TIA.

But yeah, unless the person is healthy Assurity is not the normal FE solution. It is a good one for a healthy person though.

Sounds like that doesn’t apply to their GI plan which is mostly what agents write.
Right, but it means at least one carrier is thinking about it. If it’s just Gerber whole life, then it’s just a yawn. But didn’t I recently read about a carrier who’s postponing issue on anybody who tests positive for COVID-19?

In any case, I think change is in the wind, as much for economic reasons as for underwriting.

Back