Finding a Good Telemarketer

This seems like an appropriate thread to pose the question - when hiring a telemarketer do you, the agent, provide them with a list of prospects to call or do you tell them the industries, geographic area, etc of the prospects you're interested in and they make the list to call?

I handle commercial accounts only and every telemarketer I've been in contact with said they need me to provide them with a list.

It really depends on the situation (which may sound like a cop out). Every time I've hired a telemarketer I've provided the list. If you're going to invest in paying them, it's probably worth making sure they're working off good data.

This seems like an appropriate thread to pose the question - when hiring a telemarketer do you, the agent, provide them with a list of prospects to call or do you tell them the industries, geographic area, etc of the prospects you're interested in and they make the list to call? I handle commercial accounts only and every telemarketer I've been in contact with said they need me to provide them with a list.

You should provide the list. Contact josh on here for top notch lists.

Hi, I am trying to find a good Telemarketer. Can you give me any suggestions. I am in the Chicago land area. Appreciate your input.

One of my clients who buys aged insurance leads from us told me that he hired someone from Outbounders.com to call through the aged leads to set appointments for him and says that he is doing real well with the telemarketer he decided to hire.

In any of these sites like this you need to specify that broken English is unacceptable, they must speak 100% perfect English. If you are hiring someone from another country this is absolutely necessary (you even state that they must have an American accent if you want). If you only want US or Canadian telemarketers you would need to state that as well.

Sometimes you can get a telemarketer from the Philippines that has worked years at a call center contracted with a US based company where they do English classes with the telemarketers. English is a second language there but many of the telemarketers you will find their English is not up to par, so it very important to specify in your hiring ads on sites like the one listed above, Odesk, etc. that they speak 100% perfect English and that if they don't, do not bother to apply.

Also as part of the interview process send them a script and have them pitch you to see how well they handle themselves.

Last edited:
I've hired too many telemarketers to count over the years and have used both CL and Odesk. Also, I spoke with the people at outbounders as well. Here is my take on all of them including how to hire one from these services.

CL: I used craigslist when I hired in house telemarketers. Personally, I like the virtual option(odesk or outbounders) better. You can find people to work from home from CL but CL doesn't like it. You will pay more but you will get a lot of responses. My advice here is to post the ad in the "admin" category. The "sales" category gets a lot of spam and I think people avoid this category for this reason. I always get a much better response from the Admin category.

Outbounders: This is a filipino based virtual service. Nice thing about outbounders is they have voice recordings of all of their reps and the dollar per hour amount right on their site. What I don't like is that the prices are inflated compared to other services like odesk. I think this is because the house adds a piece. Also, they tend to want you to commit to something long term.

Odesk: This is a virtual service. I use odesk everyday and have hired all of my virtual workers from here. I love the screen shot service odesk provides so you can see if your worker is working. Basically they take a snapshot of your employees screen every 8-12 minutes so you know if they are on facebook or actually making calls. Main tip for using this service: ask them to include a voice recording with their application. That way you can judge their english. There are workers from all over the world on there so you can get american workers if you want but most of your responses will be from the philippines or bangladesh. If you want american workers... post the ad asking specifically for american workers. For filipino's expect to pay $2-6 per hour. For american's expect to pay $10-16 per hour.

As with any telemarketing employee... expect to change them often. It is very hard to find a telemarketer to stick around. Even the good ones tend to move from job to job. I think they get bored with their projects. Without question... telemarketers are a special breed.

Good luck... hope this helps!

I am interviewing ones from Odesk now for both telemarketer and SEO . It seems like not many have real insurance lead experience. I am wondering if there is a way to get industry experience with just adding it to my job posting?

:swoon:McKinney

I am interviewing ones from Odesk now for both telemarketer and SEO . It seems like not many have real insurance lead experience. I am wondering if there is a way to get industry experience with just adding it to my job posting?

:swoon:McKinney

That's a tough question. You can mention in the ad "Insurance experience helpful" or something but one thing to keep in mind... people on odesk tend to lie a lot about their experience anyway... You can determine this by asking them to read to you from a script for a job they have recently used. Most won't know what to say. lol

Bottom line is this... is they have a good voice and like telemarketing, you can train them to do well. Some of my best telemarketers never telemarketed before.

Back