First Run at Med Supps

mandkassoc

Expert
Ok so this will be my first go at the Med Supp market and I saw some posts earlier on being careful when prospecting MA ... If I am just going to cold call for med supp leads ... What is the best advice for avoiding problems discussing MA or if I get to the prospects house and they end up with MA or want MA ? I do not plan on selling any MA off the bat ... My local counties don't even have participating vendors except for one non profit and I already missed 2013 MA certification training with them ... Thanks so much for any insight.

Ok so this will be my first go at the Med Supp market and I saw some posts earlier on being careful when prospecting MA ... If I am just going to cold call for med supp leads ... What is the best advice for avoiding problems discussing MA or if I get to the prospects house and they end up with MA or want MA ? I do not plan on selling any MA off the bat ... My local counties don't even have participating vendors except for one non profit and I already missed 2013 MA certification training with them ... Thanks so much for any insight.

If you are not selling MA you have nothing to worry about.

Ok so this will be my first go at the Med Supp market and I saw some posts earlier on being careful when prospecting MA ...

Just don't call into Ohio and prospect for Medicare Supplements.

MA should not even be an issue you could address if you wanted to, given the time of the year. When we encounter MA folks during our Medicare Supplement prospecting, we just politely inform them that we cannot help them make any changes until the end of the year, and leave our contact information.

It's not likely you'll take someone from an MA plan to a Medicare Supplement plan where they resume paying premiums again, anyway.

Back to prospecting, you just have to keep at it, remembering that this is a marathon, not a sprint. There will be ups and there will be downs. You are in the Medicare specialty, hopefully, so that you can genuinely help people where they are by helping them to find something better - and you really will.

The money does not start really coming in until year two, three, four, etc. All you have to do now is keep your head down and keep keeping on. You will get better and it will get easier. Just don't quit talking to people in your target demographic.

Thanks all - one last thing so I make sure I understand correctly - if someone participates in med supp they will pay part b, supp prem, and part D rx coverage should they decide to purchase that as well? Thanks

Just don't call into Ohio and prospect for Medicare Supplements.

MA should not even be an issue you could address if you wanted to, given the time of the year. When we encounter MA folks during our Medicare Supplement prospecting, we just politely inform them that we cannot help them make any changes until the end of the year, and leave our contact information.

It's not likely you'll take someone from an MA plan to a Medicare Supplement plan where they resume paying premiums again, anyway.

Back to prospecting, you just have to keep at it, remembering that this is a marathon, not a sprint. There will be ups and there will be downs. You are in the Medicare specialty, hopefully, so that you can genuinely help people where they are by helping them to find something better - and you really will.

The money does not start really coming in until year two, three, four, etc. All you have to do now is keep your head down and keep keeping on. You will get better and it will get easier. Just don't quit talking to people in your target demographic.
A good percentage of people I talk to on a MA are LIS so we can switch them anytime throughout the year.

Despite all the talk about how med supp plans are superior to MA plans, this is true. Enrollees may complain about the copayments and the network restrictions but most will never switch to a plan where they have a premium that goes up every year and they have to pay for a separate drug plan.

Thanks all - one last thing so I make sure I understand correctly - if someone participates in med supp they will pay part b, supp prem, and part D rx coverage should they decide to purchase that as well? Thanks

Yes.. make sure that you've completely digested at least the Medicare & You guidebook, as it is the base, minimum knowledge that all of your clients have already had access to.

Back