FMO Release

To Answer:

1. We ask for a written request and explanation, out of common courtesy. If we are just granting releases right and left, without any explanation, we would lose our opportunity to learn how we can make our business better!​
2. We fortunately have never had reason to deny a release. The only reason I can foresee that we might NOT release an agent, would be in a scenario that might expose us to large chargebacks.​
We feel that we offer our agents competitive products/commissions, along with great agent support! So barring rare circumstances, although we offer upfront releases, we rarely see them requested.

Do you put your release policy in writing if asked?

I saw your note about ritterIM and contract releases, how quickly do they release you.

I've never asked Craig for a release, but I'm willing to bet he'd do it as quickly as he possibly can. I believe he has the mindset, "if you don't want to be with us, we don't want to hold you back".

I'm currently in the process of fighting my FMO to release my carrier appointments. They are telling me it'll take 90 days, per their company policy and they will not release them sooner. However, I have gone through all of my New Hire paperwork and never signed a non-compete clause, nor did they ever state in any paperwork that this was their company policy. Unfortunately, they informed me of this the day I quit. In the last week I've contacted all carriers I'm appointed with and unfortunately, without my current FMO's permission to release, most of the companies will allow me to do a self-release, which will take 90 days. For some it takes 6 months. I can't go 90 days or 6 months without a job! The new company that wants to hire me will not even let me start until I can get certain company appointments released. So right now I'm trying to find a lawyer that will write me a letter scaring my current FMO into releasing sooner. Does anyone know of a lawyer?
Also, I have been contacting all of the 35 states I'm licensed with and appointed with these Medicare carriers and I've been asking the state Insurance Departments to terminate all appointments. Some states have been willing and able to, others were not. Has anyone tried this method? And does anyone know any other way around these 90 day-60 day holds?

Terminating all of your licenses or even hiring a lawyer will do nothing for you, unfortunately. You'll have to wait it out or just use other companies to write with if you can.

Since you mention the 90 day wait, I will assume that is on the MAPD side. Most others will take 6 months without writing business before you can switch on your own without a release.

Thanks for the response Todd. I don't intend to actually start a court case, I just need a letter written by an attorney to see if it will scare them into releasing sooner. Unfortunately, the new job I'm trying to get won't allow me to start until certain companies are released. So I'm stuck.

And yes, I'm referring to MAPD products.

So you're saying that terminating my state appointments won't do anything? If they're terminated then that means I no longer have an active contract with those carriers in those states, right? Which in turn means I can get reappointed with a new FMO and a new contract, right? I'm new to all of this, so I have no idea how this all works. I could use all the help/advice possible!

I don't intend to actually start a court case, I just need a letter written by an attorney to see if it will scare them into releasing sooner. Unfortunately, the new job I'm trying to get won't allow me to start until certain companies are released. So I'm stuck.

And yes, I'm referring to MAPD products.

Yep, you're probably stuck. The good news is that you have now learned a lesson to get upfront releases in writing instead of taking someone's word or not even asking at all. Even this new place that you are going should give you a pre-release agreement if you ask. If they won't give it to you, then find somewhere that will.

Latest posts

Back