Fraudsters Are Duping Homeless People Into Signing Up for ACA Plans They Can’t Afford

Duaine

Guru
100+ Post Club
Zhelyazkova is one of potentially hundreds of homeless people in Florida who have been approached by commission-seeking agents and brokers, who sign them up for zero-premium health plans on the Affordable Care Act marketplace, according to state insurance regulators, doctors, and enrollment counselors.

The presumption is that dishonest agents and brokers are signing up homeless people to earn a sales commission and that they are engaging in fraud by lying about the enrollees’ income and home addresses.

https://kffhealthnews.org/news/arti...kOA&utm_content=262257304&utm_source=hs_email

I am not homeless, but an agent has signed me up 3 times for an ACA plan without my knowledge or consent. I have reported it as fraud each time. This agent is bold in repeating their attempts. I am lucky in that I have been notified each time it happens, although I don't think they planned on that. It is a $0 dollar plan with huge subsidies that I don't qualify for. I have reported it to HHS and Health Sherpa. I am disappointed in the lack of safeguards to prevent this type of fraud.

I am not homeless, but an agent has signed me up 3 times for an ACA plan without my knowledge or consent. I have reported it as fraud each time. This agent is bold in repeating their attempts. I am lucky in that I have been notified each time it happens, although I don't think they planned on that. It is a $0 dollar plan with huge subsidies that I don't qualify for. I have reported it to HHS and Health Sherpa. I am disappointed in the lack of safeguards to prevent this type of fraud.

If you know the agents name go here and find their license number and also report them to the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation.

I would think someone has you DOB and SSN.

I have all of their info and I will report them to every relevant authority. I think they must be scamming a lot of people and it is not just one agent. I have their names, NPN, license and addresses.

If you know agents that are doing this, then you should report them. It is not a victim less crime. The people who aren't aware of their info being used will have a problem at tax time proving that they didn't use tax credits. I reported this to multiple agencies and I have emails and letters to prove that I reported it as fraud. The agent had to answer for himself and he claims to have a voice recording purporting to be me, authorizing him to be my agent and obtain a policy. I was not able to hear the recording and I don't know if the agent will actually have any trouble because of this situation. He can just claim someone called using my info.

I know of agents doing this! VERY SAD!

I believe an agent in PC is doing a lot of it. Have reported to his company a year or so ago and he's still selling. Caveat: I am not certain he is doing it but all indications point that way.

Maybe some of the new rules will help with some of the fraud.

Not sure why they even bother.

ITs my understanding that unless they are on the books for 6 mths +, their commission is close to 0.

What's the point?

I don't know why are doing this but, they did it again even after they were contacted by the department of financial services to investigate the matter. I had to call healthcare.gov and terminate the policy and report it as fraud again. This time they told me to report it to the FTC.

Back