Full time RVer never home with friends living at permanent residence

You definitely need a landlord condo policy for it. You then also need to get a renters policy for yourself from carrier that offers that to people that live in RVs full time. Definitely ask people in your RV social media groups how they insure their stuff & liability if they are on the road 100%of the time
Totally Agree, thank you @Allen Trent

As one of the country's premier P&C agents, I think the solution is clear. Condo landlord insurance, probably E&S since it's Florida.
Yes Sir.

People that go into a nursing home still have all their belongings & furniture in a house. However, the courts have clearly defined when a person has vacated (vacant home). So, just because your stuff is there doesn't mean you still reside there or ever intend to return (like snowbirds or military personnel do). You definitely no longer occupy this property as an owner occupied dwelling,meaning the insurance company has no contractual obligation to provide any of the coverages afforded under the policy. You definitely need a landlord condo policy for it. You then also need to get a renters policy for yourself from carrier that offers that to people that live in RVs full time. Definitely ask people in your RV social media groups how they insure their stuff & liability if they are on the road 100%of the time

I don't know why anybody gave this any likes. It's 100% wrong. Until the policy is properly cancelled or non-renewed, many of the coverages continue to be in effect despite the OP not occupying the condo, especially the bolded part.

Just read the condo unitowners policy sample I posted and you'll see that.

I don't know why anybody gave this any likes. It's 100% wrong. Until the policy is properly cancelled or non-renewed, many of the coverages continue to be in effect despite the OP not occupying the condo, especially the bolded part.

Just read the condo unitowners policy sample I posted and you'll see that.

Check some court cases on denied claims. He left his owner occupied house, now rents it & no longer has any intention to return to it as his owner occupied residence by his own words.

I even know of a situation where a family lakehouse was used on occasion but the elderly mother had been in a nursing home & died. The 1 son left the insurance in place that was on it & failed to get either a landlord dwelling package policy or a vacant home policy. Claim denied & that son was sued by the estate because he failed his fiduciary duty to protect the property as required as the executor/trustee. (Side bar- always know what you agree to when you are agreeing to be executor or trustee & buy bond & insurance to protect yourself from liability for making a mistake)

This poster definitely needs a landlord unit owners policy, not an owner occupied unit owners based on what he has stated

Last edited:
Everyone is correct that the OPs unit is not owner occupied, but there is not a dedicated "landlords" condo policy. It's not like an HO3 vs a DP3. Condo policies are all HO6s. He definitely needs the "Rented to Others" endorsement, and every app asks how much time the owner spends at the premises (in this case, none), but he could probably just endorse his current HO6 to keep himself covered correctly.

Everyone is correct that the OPs unit is not owner occupied, but there is not a dedicated "landlords" condo policy. It's not like an HO3 vs a DP3. Condo policies are all HO6s. He definitely needs the "Rented to Others" endorsement, and every app asks how much time the owner spends at the premises (in this case, none), but he could probably just endorse his current HO6 to keep himself covered correctly.

Not sure this is 100% accurate, but I get your point. I have referred clients with vacant & rental unit owners in the past to Foremost & I believe American Modern. They may not offer it in Florida, but I believe there are some offerings out there on DP lines of business. [EXTERNAL LINK] - Vacant and Landlord Condominium Insurance | Foremost Insurance Group

I am no PC expert as I spend most of my time in life & annuity, but I remember some of this from the past (could have changed) & I have needed the vacant offering from Foremost a few times when selling my house after moving & I recall them offering both rental & vacant DP & version of unit owners. Not sure if they are the only carrier or not

Last edited:
Check some court cases on denied claims.

I don't have to. I know them. But I'm not commenting on case decisions or claim denials without reading them first.

There are circumstances where claims can be denied because of an occupancy issue but your statement that the insurance company has no contractual obligation to provide any of the coverages afforded under the policy is wrong.

This poster definitely needs a landlord unit owners policy, not an owner occupied unit owners based on what he has stated

I've already agreed with that.

I like what I want to like, whether it's correct or not. Maybe I want to spread misinformation? You're not the boss of me :cool:

I'd still vote for you.

Not sure this is 100% accurate, bug I tef your point. I have referred clients with vacant & rental unit owners in the past to Foremost & I believe American Modern. They may not offer it in Florida, but I believe there are some offerings out there on DP lines of business. [EXTERNAL LINK] - Vacant and Landlord Condominium Insurance | Foremost Insurance Group

I am no PC expert as I spend most of my time in life & annuity, but I remember some of this from the past (could have changed) & I have needed the vacant offering from Foremost a few times when selling my house after moving & I recall them offering both rental & vacant DP & version of unit owners. Not sure if they are the only carrier or not
My experience is only in Florida, and only P&C. But down here, HO's and DP's are not appropriate for condos, as they only get "Walls In" coverage, no matter who occupies the unit.
Keep in mind that Vacant properties (condo or single family) are completely different animals. I know of no standard carriers here that will cover those, so always E&S. Tapco is my go-to for vacant, unoccupied or renovation policies.

Back