Getting Started In Final Expense

Not sure. I think talking with your upline and developing a strong and logical plan for your first month is crucial. If you've never ever sold this before and never even been on a ride along than I can't imagine it's a good idea to just stroke a check for 200 leads in your first month.
Yeah. Id like to hear some opinions of imos of well off agents vs broke as dirt agents. Is there any type of correlation of success? Having the capital to blow through 40 leads a week would be the easiest way and less stress? 12-25 appointments per week. No BS. ( Independent role permitting)

Yeah. Id like to hear some opinions of imos of well off agents vs broke as dirt agents. Is there any type of correlation of success? Having the capital to blow through 40 leads a week would be the easiest way and less stress? 12-25 appointments per week. No BS. ( Independent role permitting)

When the wife and I first started, we did NOT have the capital to blow through ANY leads. We took around 15-20 leads a week and door knocked every single one of them for the first 8 months.

Then when we had the money to UPGRADE our system, we started getting more leads and setting appointments by phone. As the money started accumulating, our system gradually changed and now I use an appointment setter. My wife still calls at least some of her leads herself in order to get the most out of the leads.

During this entire time, we are constantly working different parts of the state in order to find places that we do better in and to keep the lead flow up.

The correlation between success and failure in our business all comes down to the agent's work ethic. The more time the agent spends in the field and the harder he works, the higher his chances are of being successful. Those that spend more time mental masturbating, don't do jack. lol

I'm curious, you have been on here for a while. What are you doing?

It's just like with the FE clients. If an agent is completely broke he usually doesn't have his act together. There can be exceptions. Like if he started out with some money allocated but got hooked in with a bad agency that left him in a bunch of debt.

But for the most part I find the completely broke but fire in his eyes agent to be fiction.

The best agents are usually excited to get going and fired up but not completely strapped financially. They are prepared but like Doug said, not the type that over analyzes everything. They are more ready to get out there and make a few mistakes than to sit at home trying to get perfectly ready.

The guys who are always getting ready to get ready usually never launch for very long. They get too caught up in the details. You have to accept that no one is as good in the beginning as you will be a year later. As long as you get out there and always reflect on what is working and what doesn't you will keep improving.

When the wife and I first started, we did NOT have the capital to blow through ANY leads. We took around 15-20 leads a week and door knocked every single one of them for the first 8 months.

Then when we had the money to UPGRADE our system, we started getting more leads and setting appointments by phone. As the money started accumulating, our system gradually changed and now I use an appointment setter. My wife still calls at least some of her leads herself in order to get the most out of the leads.

During this entire time, we are constantly working different parts of the state in order to find places that we do better in and to keep the lead flow up.

The correlation between success and failure in our business all comes down to the agent's work ethic. The more time the agent spends in the field and the harder he works, the higher his chances are of being successful. Those that spend more time mental masturbating, don't do jack. lol

I'm curious, you have been on here for a while. What are you doing?

Getting burnt out knocking on every door in the hood... Ideally trying to move to all appointments within the next year (10-15 door knocking too) and finding better areas to work. How do you keep areas fresh? I know you spoke earlier about a zipcode finder? Thanks! Still don't have capital to have appoint setter burn through 25 leads a week and have 15 to 25 appts.

Getting burnt out knocking on every door in the hood... Ideally trying to move to all appointments within the next year (10-15 door knocking too) and finding better areas to work. How do you keep areas fresh? I know you spoke earlier about a zipcode finder? Thanks! Still don't have capital to have appoint setter burn through 25 leads a week and have 15 to 25 appts.

Not sure what zip code finder he was talking about. I use zipmap.net maybe that is what you were looking for, if not, sorry.

Unfortunately the one I used for years disappeared. Here is a link to the one that I use now. The way I use it is I simply google something like "orlando fl zip codes" and when I see the right site come up on google I click on it. Once there, you can click on the zip codes to get data. This helps agents find areas with their target market.

Orlando, FL ZIP Codes

The best way to keep areas "fresh" is to drop mail in different areas and don't be afraid to travel. I try to find areas that have average household income of around $30,000. Then I will pull up that zip code on google maps. At that point I look for specific things.

Does the area look like the African American neighborhood that I want to market in? Are the houses spread apart enough to be a "more Rural" area? Is the area an hour or so away from a major city?

Unfortunately, it's not an exact science but it does help me to find new areas to scout out and work. If you need any more specific help on the subject, PM me.

Unfortunately the one I used for years disappeared. Here is a link to the one that I use now. The way I use it is I simply google something like "orlando fl zip codes" and when I see the right site come up on google I click on it. Once there, you can click on the zip codes to get data. This helps agents find areas with their target market.

Orlando, FL ZIP Codes

The best way to keep areas "fresh" is to drop mail in different areas and don't be afraid to travel. I try to find areas that have average household income of around $30,000. Then I will pull up that zip code on google maps. At that point I look for specific things.

Does the area look like the African American neighborhood that I want to market in? Are the houses spread apart enough to be a "more Rural" area? Is the area an hour or so away from a major city?

Unfortunately, it's not an exact science but it does help me to find new areas to scout out and work. If you need any more specific help on the subject, PM me.

I actually go further.... I control all the data used now for FE, I provide all data to the Vendor and no longer use them for Data. They are basically a print shop and mail house now and you can get that locally or with a larger print shop.

This has actually increased my return rate and quality as I know exactly what is being mailed to the area I mail to.

Controlling the Design of the lead is also important, Customizing your own lead is vital to efficient DM returns.... This goes along the line of being different and not the same as every other mailer the household receives that month. Yes, the typical FE client in major cities will receive up to 10 FE DM pieces a MONTH. You have to be different.

Orlando, FL ZIP Codes

Love the idea about google maps and viewing the the houses/apartments.. If you do not mind me asking id love to see what your ideal house/ apartment would look like. Haha. What house value do you think is ideal? Would love to hear anyone chip in. thanks. I don't think I have ever gotten into a house. Let alone had someone answer their phone or door in an house like this.....1411 Bernwald Lane, Dayton OH For Sale | Trulia.com. Or this.... 17714 Grovewood Ave , Cleveland

Last edited:
Again I think people are overanalyzing Fe mailouts and clients. I agree stay an hr away from big cities but other than that its hard to control who you mail to. If you're using fixed cost its going to 0-50k income wether its an hr away from a city are in a city.Twilights way of narrowing the tgt mkt down using several factors will get you a 2-5/1000 return in many areas.I think in the end it comes down do you want to pay $28 for a pretty good lead or $50-$80 for a higher qualified lead that can still as easily say no?In fe its a fac t of life you have to work thru the crap to get to the good ones. The other side is buy 50 or more leads a week and only sell the qualified interested ones. Then you can be picky.

Love the idea about google maps and viewing the the houses/apartments.. If you do not mind me asking id love to see what your ideal house/ apartment would look like. Haha. What house value do you think is ideal? Would love to hear anyone chip in. thanks. I don't think I have ever gotten into a house. Let alone had someone answer their phone or door in an house like this.....1411 Bernwald Lane, Dayton OH For Sale | Trulia.com. Or this.... 17714 Grovewood Ave , Cleveland

I don't work leads but the majority of FE I have written over the years has been in homes like this one.

Back