Good Insurance Commercials - but...Is this Really Covered?

marindependent

Guru
1000 Post Club
I realize that the reality of insurance is that its really boring. I get it. And I understand the marketers dilemma here. But do these some of these commercial really seem to show a payable claim or a problem claim.

Check out this one, and let me know your opinion.

Using mayhem as the word to describe events covered is misleading. Virtually any definition of mayhem describes it as a willful act, which we all know is generally excluded by the vast majority of insurance policies.

This commercial, on the other hand, is pure gold. These were my favorite when they were on TV, and while they're part of the general decline in respect for the entire profession of insurance, they're still funny.

I heard there's part of town, late at night, with a dark, shady alley, illuminated by a single flickering light. If you go at the right time, theres a gecko, Dressed in a sleek black suit, topped off with a fedora, this reptile means business.

If you approach the gecko with your dec pages , he'll look at them, cigarette in hand,"That's a nice condo you've got there, pal... sure would be a shame if something were to happen to it. Sure would be a big help I bet if someone could save you 15% or more in 15 minutes or less..." He looks at Dave1, raising an eyebrow.

Suddenly, Dave's left pondering his choices. Does he trust this smooth-talking, cigarette-smoking reptile to protect his precious abode? Or does he take his chances and leave it all up to fate?

The gecko flips out his pen and a contract he wont let you look at.. "Come on pal... 15% or more.. just sign on the dotted line... Its so easy a caveman could do it" *the gecko chuckles to himself*

I heard there's part of town, late at night, with a dark, shady alley, illuminated by a single flickering light. If you go at the right time, theres a gecko, Dressed in a sleek black suit, topped off with a fedora, this reptile means business.

If you approach the gecko with your dec pages , he'll look at them, cigarette in hand,"That's a nice condo you've got there, pal... sure would be a shame if something were to happen to it. Sure would be a big help I bet if someone could save you 15% or more in 15 minutes or less..." He looks at Dave1, raising an eyebrow.

Suddenly, Dave's left pondering his choices. Does he trust this smooth-talking, cigarette-smoking reptile to protect his precious abode? Or does he take his chances and leave it all up to fate?

The gecko flips out his pen and a contract he wont let you look at.. "Come on pal... 15% or more.. just sign on the dotted line... Its so easy a caveman could do it" *the gecko chuckles to himself*

You sir, have a dark, dark, twisted mind.

Alex Lee for insurance commissioner!!!

You sir, have a dark, dark, twisted mind.

Alex Lee for insurance commissioner!!!

I can't take full credit for it, I saw a meme once that compared insurance agents to the mafia. It said something along the lines of "That's a nice house you have there... sure would be a shame if something were to...happen to it"

I can't take full credit for it, I saw a meme once that compared insurance agents to the mafia. It said something along the lines of "That's a nice house you have there... sure would be a shame if something were to...happen to it"
When I started with Globe Life we'd cold canvas an area for a couple of weeks at a time with 4-5 man units. Other companies did this too. I was told that years before I started, the agents from the competing companies would fight to see who stayed and worked the town. Selling insurance isn't as dangerous as it used to be. :laugh:

Last edited:
I realize that the reality of insurance is that its really boring. I get it. And I understand the marketers dilemma here. But do these some of these commercial really seem to show a payable claim or a problem claim.

Check out this one, and let me know your opinion.

The hoopster's damage to the garage is covered. The homeowner dwelling property coverage is "all peril" subject to exclusions and limitations. Take out your own homeowner policy and you will find no exclusion for the damage depicted in the commercial.

If you are thinking of the "intentional loss" exclusion, it does not apply as the definition of "intentional loss" is "any loss arising out of any act an "insured" commits or conspires to commit with the intent to cause a loss."

The act of jumping up on the hoop was intentional but the ensuing damage was not, and that's what counts.

The next one where the driver is distracted and hits the vehicle in front of him is, of course, covered by liability and collision.

Moving on to the video where the cat caused the water damage, well, the standard homeowners policy excludes "loss caused by animals owned, or kept, by an "insured." The water damage caused by the cat would not be covered nor would any other damage to your dwelling or other structures be covered if caused by your animal.

Now here's something interesting that illustrates how insurance companies may differ in coverage which means RTFP. My State Farm policy excludes damage caused by "all animals, birds, or insects" except that the policy covers damage caused by wild bears or deer and the breakage of glass by "animals, birds, or insects."

Any other questions about P&C coverage, let me know.

I have thought about the B-ball Mayhem commercial. I think the guy that broke the hoop doesn't live there, so the commercial is referring to "Off Premises Liability" coverage.

Back