Is this covered? Is this covered? Is this covered?

MIGA1626

Super Genius
What do you guys do when someone ask if "X" is covered? I hate when people ask me this. They are asking about theoretical events it is impossible to know if something is actually covered unless it actually happens. I don't want to be so crass as to say every time to JUST TALK TO A LAWYER... there has to be a better way to communicate this.

What do you guys do when someone ask if "X" is covered? I hate when people ask me this. They are asking about theoretical events it is impossible to know if something is actually covered unless it actually happens. I don't want to be so crass as to say every time to JUST TALK TO A LAWYER... there has to be a better way to communicate this.
I tell them to call you!

I tell them that I don't comment on hypotheticals or speciation. It depends on what caused the loss. I follow that up with" Insurance is for sudden and accidental" instances

LOL...I hear this quite often, but interestingly enough, I don't hear it very often from the P/C agents who specialize in the private client/HNW marketplace. While there's no generics, many HNW clients understand risk management -- high deductibles, self-insuring small, manageable risks, transferring larger, catastrophic type risks, etc.

I sit through the annual RMA with my family office, bigger clients, etc. -- and it's a fascinating process. However, if this ever comes up, the client understands when the professional says, "Each situation is case and situation specific, and claim specific as well; however, based upon the generic broad strokes you've come up with here...yes, something like you've outlined should be covered, however, let's change the example to something slightly away from this that would not be covered...

I'm a big buyer of P/C coverage -- and I will say this -- having a top, expert, P/C professional is invaluable!

OK here we go. I came up with a response I am sending everyone:

"Please see attached policy to review your coverages and exclusions. Every claim is different and it is up to the adjuster to determine coverage. It is impossible to know the facts of a claim before it has occurred. "

Back