Google Self Driving Car, No Steering Wheel, No Brakes

Google cars are truly interesting - having seen one in action. Insurance companies aren't looking forward to such safe driving since premiums will be pressured to go down by the state insurance commissioners in light of fewer accidents, and better driving?? But like all things electronic, problems will arise so liability will need to be covered.

Question if my Google car gets into an accident is that an at fault claim on me the nondriver or is Google going to have to carry the liability coverage?

Question if my Google car gets into an accident is that an at fault claim on me the nondriver or is Google going to have to carry the liability coverage?

I believe the manufacturers have said they will accept the liability.

Comp for sure to cover theft, hail damage, etc.

Collision for people that don't have a computer operated car hitting your google car and other things of course.

Liability will always be required due to state legislature but I'm sure will be cheaper on those cars.

Even if these things come out in 2020 it will be a long time after that before a major percentage of the population has them. Hybrids have been out for a long enough time to statistically see that most people don't want them same will probably go for the robocar

I think Hybrids have been out long enough to see people would want them if the price came down. Would you pass up an affordable Tesla?

Comp for sure to cover theft, hail damage, etc.

Collision for people that don't have a computer operated car hitting your google car and other things of course.

Liability will always be required due to state legislature but I'm sure will be cheaper on those cars.

Even if these things come out in 2020 it will be a long time after that before a major percentage of the population has them. Hybrids have been out for a long enough time to statistically see that most people don't want them same will probably go for the robocar

I don't think want has anything to do with hybrids and their sales numbers. A hybrid model generally commands a significant premium over the non-hybrid and often the fuel savings are not that much.

The market is showing it won't pay a significant premium for minor fuel savings. But if self-driving cars are very close price wise, I think there will be a big demand. Again, I think the biggest demand will be for daily commuters. Which also is where hybrids tend to do best.

Just for comparison, an Accord Sedan starts at 21,680 MSRP, while an Accord Sedan Hybrid starts at 29,155 MSRP. That gets you an extra 26 MPG in the city. At 3.50 per gallon, you have to save about 2135 gallons of gas to justify the savings, meaning it takes the first 100,000 miles to get back the difference. And that assumes it is all city driving, the difference in MPG isn't near as much on the highway.

From ins journal- “Automakers are not sure if Google is their friend or their enemy, but they have a sneaking suspicion that whatever Google’s going to do is going to cause upheaval in the industry.”

NO STEERING WHEEL

Analysts estimate Google has invested tens of millions of dollars in an effort that’s ultimately a side project. But car companies, all too familiar with the devastating financial and brand damage of recalls, would see any hiccups with the self-driving car as a threat to their main business.

The Auto Industry is smart enough to see this is a problem but we are all on here saying, Oh no big deal! It wont affect us for years to come.

Its like Yellow page salesman saying the internet will never catch on, or Kodak saying, "sure there are 4 mega pix cameras but we don't have to worry until 8 mega pix cameras are main stream and that will never happen.

Send that thing to my neighborhood and I guarantee it crashes real quick. Liability rates will not come down because fraud is not going away

Back