Got rearended in a new car, how do i deal with SF?

xeroxducati

Short version: driving my basically brand new 2020 Z4 (less than 6k miles), got rear ended. Top was down (in the trunk) and there's really no longer a trunk, its a pancake, as is the roof. Frame's bent. Front end also damaged because his truck lifted it. My guess is its a total loss, but no idea.

He's got allstate, I've got statefarm. Claim is with statefarm, but allstate has accepted liability. I'm 3 weeks in, and so far all thats happened is statefarm finally towed the car to IAAI (auction place) last week.

Wondering what happens next? Does auction tow mean its totaled? How will they compute ACV since the car is so new its not even showing in NADA black book? Trying to figure out what I should be asking, what I'm owed, etc.

Call your Claim Rep and send him/her a copy of your Bill of Sale since you are still paying any note until the settlement is achieved

Does auction tow mean its totaled?

Possibly. Did Allstate have anybody look at the car before towing it to auction? If not, it will be evaluated for damage cost. In Texas a car is a total loss if the cost to repair is equal to, or greater than, the ACV.

How will they compute ACV since the car is so new its not even showing in NADA black book?

Allstate will have access to value guides that do show 2020 cars with mileage adjustments.

If you want to get ahead of this, I suggest you do a nationwide search for comparable cars with low mileage like yours and print out whatever adds you find, as many ads as possible in that mileage range. Understand that selling price is often less than asking price so expect to be paid less than what your purchase price was.

Do you have GAP coverage? I'm guessing that your loan payoff is going to be more than the ACV of the car. So be prepared for that too.

Otherwise, you'll just have to wait until Allstate comes up with an amount.

Have you talked to Allstate's rep about a rental car?

Last edited:
Allstate gave me the runaround for a few weeks refusing to accept liability, so i gave up and went thru state farm, figured they can just get me back my deductible. As far as i know, neither insurance company has looked at it, it's sat at the tow yard, and is now sitting at IAAI. It's sitting outside, with the roof down, and it's rained a good bit, so I'm guessing it's a swimming pool by now.

I've done a bunch of searches, I know what they're actually selling for, and I've got a few printed to prove it. My reading says I should also be expecting them to cover the 6.25% texas sales tax on top. I don't have GAP, but I also have plenty of equity so I'm not worried about being upside down.

I haven't talked to allstate at all since i started going thru my insurance (State farm). SF of course will only cover what my policy covers for a rental, should I go to allstate directly? That claim is still open, and I'm told they've accepted liability at this point.

Should I also be asking for "loss of use" for the last 3 weeks?

Possibly. Did Allstate have anybody look at the car before towing it to auction? If not, it will be evaluated for damage cost. In Texas a car is a total loss if the cost to repair is equal to, or greater than, the ACV.

Allstate will have access to value guides that do show 2020 cars with mileage adjustments.

If you want to get ahead of this, I suggest you do a nationwide search for comparable cars with low mileage like yours and print out whatever adds you find, as many ads as possible in that mileage range. Understand that selling price is often less than asking price so expect to be paid less than what your purchase price was.

Do you have GAP coverage? I'm guessing that your loan payoff is going to be more than the ACV of the car. So be prepared for that too.

Otherwise, you'll just have to wait until Allstate comes up with an amount.

Have you talked to Allstate's rep about a rental car?

Sorry, misread your post and thought Allstate had the car towed. Since Allstate jerked you around, at this point I would leave it with State Farm. If you have rental coverage, use it. All you need is a box on wheels while State Farm handles the claim. State Farm will subrogate against Allstate and get everything back including your deductible.

As for loss of use for the last 3 weeks, did you incur any costs for a substitute vehicle or transportation.

Read your policy for the loss of use coverage and rental rental coverage.

State Farm has a contractual and statutory obligation to you, Allstate does not.

Call your State Farm claim rep in the morning and follow up.

Were you injured?

Back