Got Rolled by Mickey Mouse and Mom/Dad

Indiana_Adam

Guru
100+ Post Club
Filled out 3 policies on young, unmarried couple Saturday evening, had everything but checking information, but confirmed they wanted to move forward. Flash forward to this afternoon. They talked to her parents who said they should use their money to go to Disney World this year instead....... They were small policies, $70 total a month. But, they were the first 3 apps I went through on my own. They have no savings and he has a term policy through work(he doesn't know face amount or income multiplier amount). I believe they would be benefiting from this purchase, but I failed to do my job and help them see the benefits. Just venting.

At least in P&C, when they say no, I've not gotten to know them as personally like in this process. Stings a tad more. Not directly because I got rejected but because I do feel like I've failed them and anyone who would be impacted by their premature demise. Can someone pass the popcorn, bon bons, and tissues?

Tomorrow is a new day though!

Filled out 3 policies on young, unmarried couple Saturday evening, had everything but checking information, but confirmed they wanted to move forward. Flash forward to this afternoon. They talked to her parents who said they should use their money to go to Disney World this year instead....... They were small policies, $70 total a month. But, they were the first 3 apps I went through on my own. They have no savings and he has a term policy through work(he doesn't know face amount or income multiplier amount). I believe they would be benefiting from this purchase, but I failed to do my job and help them see the benefits. Just venting.

At least in P&C, when they say no, I've not gotten to know them as personally like in this process. Stings a tad more. Not directly because I got rejected but because I do feel like I've failed them and anyone who would be impacted by their premature demise. Can someone pass the popcorn, bon bons, and tissues?

Tomorrow is a new day though!

So, hit them up after Disney World, not rocket science.....They were interested, so dont give up

They talked to her parents who said they should use their money to go to Disney World this year instead...
Did they reveal this early in the appointment when you asked them how they would make their decision, and if they would need to consult anyone else before they did?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
So, hit them up after Disney World, not rocket science.....They were interested, so dont give up
This is from the "give up control, pray and hope something good happens eventually" school of sales...

Last edited:
Now that sounds like great parental advice...No savings and they should go to Disney World, I'm calling bullshit and to thier faces because with thinking like that I don't want them as clients, I could live with say I want to put 1k in savings first but not that.

Sad, but true. Had an old client who needed life insurnace (I was recommending simple term). His wife was laid off, he said he could not afford it. Two weeks later, he called in excited about getting coverage for his used bass boat ($25,000 - which he refi'ed his house for).

I wanted to tell the wife they should have bought a house boat, because if something bad happens, that may be what they have to live in.

So people you can not help. They don't understand the "ledge" they are tap dancing on.

They never TRULY wanted the insurance if they didn't fork over a voided check.

Happened to me on my very first appointment with a guy named Rosco. Went back to the office pleased as punch that I had sold my first policy. I never could reach Rosco again, and I still call it being "Rosco'ed"

You have been Rosco'ed my friend. Although we may now change the name to getting "Mickey'd" .

Had an old client who needed life insurnace (I was recommending simple term). His wife was laid off, he said he could not afford it. Two weeks later, he called in excited about getting coverage for his used bass boat ($25,000 - which he refi'ed his house for).
Wouldn't it be wonderful if logic "sold"? Until we understand how to turn a "need" into a "want" (think bass boat), we are destined to be disappointed (and confused) by results like this.

I remember an appointment where as soon as I got there the husband walked out of the house and I was left with the wife who is telling me she so wishes she hadn't wasted my time as they have no money. I sat there and looked out the window at the father and son started up on of the 4 fourwheelers in the driveway which sat next to the 2 snowmobiles and those six machines sat in front of some sort of boat. I was okay walking out of there as had I started something they would have most likely cancelled quickly as they where up to thier ears in payments.

Back