Guaranteed Income Options Worth It IRR?

davephx

Expert
My current thought is to ignore any income riders based on the following thinking (which I welcome being challenged on)!

When I have recently evaluated up for renewal policies from 10+ years ago that had guaranteed life income riders, I did a side by side spreadsheet of about a dozen SPIA's. Instead of taking the income rider option, it was fairly easy to find a SPIA with a much better payout rate and options. This was even though the original annuity was during much higher interest rates. (and started with a 7.5% S&P pt-to-pt annual cap which declined to 3%).

The SPIA which was life/10 year certain had an IRR of only about 2% ( vs just returning your own money), but still better than in the now surrender free old indexed annuity same income option.

Question:
If you elect the income rider now when take out new policy do you lock in todays near historic low rates? I would think so since they have to use some rate of return to illustrate long-term living benefits and this is about the only variable other than age. But it was surprising how much better I could do with a SPIA at today's low rates vs the income option from 10+ years ago.

Although I have a CPA background and accounting degree its been two many decades to remember how to easily compute a compounded annual or IRR return on an annuity stream. I may do more research on that Use to do stuff like that on an old HP-25 in the 70's. I think the formula is PV = PMT * [(1-(1+r)^-n)/r] ! But my math skills are no longer as sharp as decades ago.

Someone did figure how bad the return was on a variable annuity income option. Example used:
$100k into a variable annuity with a 7% roll-up and a 5% withdraw rate Assumed invested at age 65, waited 10 years and then took withdrawals using the income guarantee. (I assume the 5% was on life certain basis don't recall how those worked).

The returns were sort of what I expected:
If he lived 10 more years to age 85 the real return would be 0.1%/year
Age 90 2.3%/year.
Age 95 3.5%
Age 100 4.2%
This of course is pre-inflation which would reduce the real returns.

Back in the pre-2008 days wrote some great variables when we could be very aggressive in subaccounts and used minimum guranteed rollups of 5-7% on income rider or DB. Then of course after the crash they eliminated gradually most of the aggressive options making it less likely would ever make up the losses which made no sense.

Fortunately, many of the equity options were just locked out for new programs but most clients were able to keep some good equity positions.

The result was no one every took the income options since they had liquidity from other sources and waited out the rebound where contract values are/were greater than the guarantees.

Unfortunately, we don't have those good options today or in many cases if have so much loss they force you into bonds so again, will not likely recover.

There are a few VAs with good equity choices but tend to be very expensive.

Today am looking more at indexed annuities for the 7-10 year save money to lock in some of the last 5 years great equity mutual fund returns for part of portfolio that doesn't need liquidity. But am avoiding income rider fees since even if want to have eventually turn into income want the flexibility to shop of the best SPIA at that time. Does that make sense?

The problem I have with todays indexed annuities is the 1% minimum caps most can go to. Other than that I like some indexed with current caps about 5% (S&P500 annual pt-to-pt).

With interest rates in decline for the past 34 years, we don't have any experience to see if insurance companies might Increase future caps with higher interest rates. The other variable is the cost of the special call options they do which I don't have a handle on trying to predict future relative costs. But in determining caps on indexed products I believe interest rates are more the key issue.

Am also considering some ULs and WL either as a MEC or not (for borrowing) but of course funding enough so no risk of lapse. Have not written a UL or WL for many decades so am just starting to evaluate again. Going to Las Vegas conference in early August - especially interested in the panel about UL vs WL argument.

Most of my clients are older and more concerned about living too long (I plan to age 100) than dying too soon!

Last edited:
I think you hit the nail on the head. In most cases, it doesn't make sense to me to tie up a client's money for 10+ years at historic low rates, all the while paying an annual fee for the right to spend down their own money. Like you said, I think it's a much better option right now to use a 7-10 year product with strong rates/caps from a company with a good renewal rate history, and then look to move it to a SPIA or possibly a different income product once it's out of surrender.

If you weren't aware, ANICO has a SPIA with a bailout provision - after three contract years you can access up to 10% of the commuted value ($2000 minimum) penalty free. If you request more than 10%, or request a full surrender, they may require some underwriting to make sure that you're not on your death bed trying to get a refund, but this is still a great option that provides more liquidity than just about any other SPIA I know of. Their SPIA rates are pretty strong as well, and they offer life w/ refund option.

Last edited:
I think you hit the nail on the head. In most cases, it doesn't make sense to me to tie up a client's money for 10+ years at historic low rates, all the while paying an annual fee for the right to spend down their own money. Like you said, I think it's a much better option right now to use a 7-10 year product with strong rates/caps from a company with a good renewal rate history, and then look to move it to a SPIA or possibly a different income product once it's out of surrender.

Interesting, it hit me today, while working on two annuity cases that the income rider wasn't worth it, and we opted for a shorter term, higher growth potential product,with SPIA in back of my mind down the road, but didn't discuss it in any detail.

Good topic.

If you weren't aware, ANICO has a SPIA with a bailout provision - after three contract years you can access up to 10% of the commuted value ($2000 minimum) penalty free. If you request more than 10%, or request a full surrender, they may require some underwriting to make sure that you're not on your death bed trying to get a refund, but this is still a great option that provides more liquidity than just about any other SPIA I know of. Their SPIA rates are pretty strong as well, and they offer life w/ refund option.

Nationwide Income Promise Select SPIA also has good access and some other features.
I wrote an age 83 male/79 spouse Joint and 100% Survivor with 10 years certain for $100k premium that had a first-year withdrawal available of $70,897 (with a $50 fee). Of course annuity payments reduced proportionally but after the 10 years annuity payments (if still alive) revert to the original high payout. ($708.21/month from the illustration I have). This was from August 2014 so may be slightly different today.

I did a spread sheet and even the somewhat unique withdraw option the monthly annuity beat Allianz, Minn Life, Integrity and American Equity.

I have been saying for the past 2 years that it is the worst time in history to sell an Income Rider or a SPIA. Take Free Withdrawals out of a MYGA and wait until rates rise.

Someone did figure how bad the return was on a variable annuity income option. Example used:
$100k into a variable annuity with a 7% roll-up and a 5% withdraw rate Assumed invested at age 65, waited 10 years and then took withdrawals using the income guarantee. (I assume the 5% was on life certain basis don't recall how those worked).

The way these generally work... is that the longer you wait, the higher the amount of guaranteed income you can take.

For example, ANICO has two lifetime income riders, but we'll focus on their 7% for 10 year 'roll-up' rider. After 10 years, the amount for basing an income stream is nearly double of the original balance. $100,000 turns into $196,715 to base income from - REGARDLESS of any market volatility or changes in interest rates or indexing caps, etc. NO GUESSWORK AND NO 'PREDICTING THE FUTURE'!

BTW, with ANICO we're talking about a fixed indexed annuity with only a rider fee of .6%... not a VA with M&E and portfolio management fees to continue to erode the cash values.

Now, comes the payout structure. At age 65, one could start taking income now, but that's locked in at 5% for life.

Age 70 - 5.5%

Age 75 - 6%

6% of $196,715 = $11,802 for the rest of one's life (assuming they are healthy to begin with).

Compared to 5% of $100,000 to start with, or $5,000 per year for life. You get your principal back after 20 years.

If one should live to be 100, then...
- Age 65: $5,000/year x 35 years = $175,000 of total income
- Age 75: $11,802/year x 25 years = $295,125 of total income

If you can delay income, there are some rewards for doing so... just like with a personal pension plan.

You can also do a split annuity strategy, where you have 1 annuity without a rider, taking 10% per year income... and another that is "growing" (stepping up its income base) for 10 years to guarantee the highest lifetime income stream.

Here's the thing with annuities: You're trying to build and structure a retirement paycheck to last as long as possible... not trying to get the highest rates of return. If you want to do both, then get an annuity (SPIA or FIA with a rider) and split it with an investment portfolio that you are not completely dependent upon for income. The less you rely on the investment portfolio, the better you can withstand any volatility.

Annuities, even in today's rates are great. Compared to what? Compared to an investment strategy that typically pegs your lifetime income to 4% per year - and subject to market volatility? I'd rather face inflation with 100% of my money than with 50% after a market crash.

----------

Today am looking more at indexed annuities for the 7-10 year save money to lock in some of the last 5 years great equity mutual fund returns for part of portfolio that doesn't need liquidity. But am avoiding income rider fees since even if want to have eventually turn into income want the flexibility to shop of the best SPIA at that time. Does that make sense?

This is the wrong reason to look at Fixed Indexed Annuities.

If you want TRUE market returns, you have to assume true market risks and costs.

Fixed indexed annuities offer a way to earn more of a return compared to CDs and money markets... but less of an upside return compared to upside market volatility.

Where FIAs shine is during down markets. Preserve 100% of your capital when markets drop... then watch 100% of your balance increase as markets return.

Try doing that in the market after your balances are decimated because the markets are "making a correction".

----------

Plus, as you stated, interest rates determine the pricing of the underlying stock market call options.

You can't really take today's riders and compare them to the past, nor compare caps and compare them to the past unless you adjust for the interest rate environments.

Plus, as you stated, interest rates determine the pricing of the underlying stock market call options.

Interest rates determine how much of the premium can go to purchasing Calls. Not the price of the Calls.

You can't really take today's riders and compare them to the past, nor compare caps and compare them to the past unless you adjust for the interest rate environments.

The interest rate environment is the whole point. It is at a historical low.

Crunch the numbers on taking withdrawals for 4 or 5 years from a MYGA and then locking in rates from 5 or 6 years ago vs. locking in rates now.

DHK Made a lot of good points.

Just on how to look at FIA's - I don't have any CD type clients just those that have had great market gains so instead of market gains (and losses) for part of their portfolio just seek to de-risk and lock in prior gains.

I realize the underlying call options on the S&P that allow the "participation" exclude dividends and, of course, are not directly in the market. But would seem to work well to de-risk and lock in some of their gains and as my favorite saying is "participate yet protect."

Using traditional bonds obviously doesn't work today since they have such high-interest rates risk. i.e. 1 yr duration= about 1% loss of value for every 1% rise in rates. I do recommend some senior secured floating rates earning about 7% today and could benefit from higher rates (based on Libor) with negative duration. Or to some limited extent high yields with one year or less duration (the higher the risk, the lower the interest rate risk).

With FIA, the downside is you give up liquidity (other than allowed 5%-10% withdrawals and don't take an income. The reset if the index goes down so never have to recover prior losses to get the participation in the upside, of course, is a key feature.

The cost of the call options on an index is not so much dependent on interest rates but are priced based on the market outlook and volatility. I have not found a way to track this, however. I understand the interest rate determines how much of the premium they but in bonds to match the guarantee such as 87.5% of 1%, or in one case a 0.5% annual return even if zero market gains for entire period. After allocating how much is needed to get the bonds for another derivative to secure the guarantee, what is left can buy options. So with higher rates there is more of the premium to buy call options. So the cap is indirectly benefits with higher rates since more funds to buy the call options.

The key to success in selling insurance-based financial plans (annuities and permanent life insurance) is not because it is superior on its own.

As LEAP system teaches a concept called "person A vs person B".

Person A:
- Buys term life insurance
- Maximizes 401(k) and other qualified plan contributions
- Pays off home early
- etc.

Person B:
- Does insurance-based planning

The superiority in Person B isn't because it illustrates better. The superiority in Person B lies in the flaws of the strategies in Person A.

When you take into account:
- 1-2% AUM fees each and every year eroding account values
- Market volatility (leading to sequence of return risks)
- limiting income to about 4% per year
- No guarantee of lifetime income

And the fixed indexed annuity with living benefit strategy quickly becomes a superior way to use one's retirement funds.

Let's assume a market crash and you only have $100,000 (to keep the math easy).

AUM:
- $100,000 x -50% = $50,000 (after crash)

Increase by 10%
- $50,000 x 10% ($5,000) = $55,000

Fixed indexed annuity:
- $100,000 x 0% = $100,000

Increase by 10% (but subject to 5% cap):
- $100,000 x 5% ($5,000) = $105,000

Notice that while the % is lower, the net gain was the same.

The less we can focus on specific %'s and focus on net gains, the better you'll be in selling Annuities.

Now, living benefits simply guarantee a result for future income where no such guarantee would otherwise exist... even using tactical asset management strategies.

Last edited:
You assume the investor A sold out after a 50% decline.

Virtually all of my clients didn't sell to lock in their losses but now even on a 10-year basis are far ahead of what they would have done with an annuity.

I didn't do much with variables but for a few used a VA with a or 7% annual increase in the "pretend value" (the income rider value) This is with a high cost VA vs a mutual fund plus paying for the guaranteed side. In all cases the contract values are higher than the 7%/yr increase in the pretend value of the income rider.

Today there are very few VA's that would work that way. Fortunately the old one I used, we could keep in some equity sub accounts vs newer products that would force a bond allocation so you could not recovery in the equity rebound that always follows declines (most indexes were yet again at all time highs about a week ago). Of course i don't chase index returns but seek managers with long history of positive Alpha (outperformance for risk taken - Beta).

Today only a few VA's have equity sub accounts I would recommend.

On the other hand with clients having had large equity gains (even if went through the 2009-10 decline) will suggest some FIA but without any income rider. Maybe on a $500k portfolio do $100k in FIA. For some am also looking at asset based LTC which can take various forms where LTC protection is a multiple of investment, not just accelerated surrender period.

I would never recommend an index fund or ETF, but the Vanguard S&P500 index fund over 10 years as of Friday including the Great Recession has an average annual return of 7.48%/yr. As expected this would slightly trail the index return of 7.61%/year. These of course are total returns, including dividends vs a FIA that excludes dividends since just call options with a cap.

I believe the outlook for equities is still favorable with about 184 of the S&P500 reporting about 76% are beating estimates again. Excluding the energy sector which is expected to have an earnings loss of about 54% year-over-year we still have solid earnings growth in 9 of 10 sectors.

Large multinationals of course are taking a hit with the continued strong $US vs Euro and most currencies. However in Western Europe has had some strong gains in some companies funds are in that are overall resulting in better foreign gains than U.S. (overall in general) at this point even with the strong $US headwinds.

Looking at 2nd quarter results to date U.S. companies that have less than 50% of revenue from foreign operations are doing much better than those with over 50% foreign revenue.

So my clouded crystal ball is still strong on equities for the next few years, not bonds (other than floating rates and short duration high yields) but if I can get a 5% cap with an FIA with no loss on the downside that can fit in a diversified portfolio.

I agree the sequence of returns makes a big difference since if you lose 20% you need a 25% gain to get back to break-even.
----------

- Pays off home early

Other than in the 2008-2010 home market crash due to terrible loan underwriting, the last place I want equity is in a home - dead equity assuming no big decline in home values as the 2008-10 crash was unique in history.

If I am paying 5% home mortgage interest (lower now), my after tax cost is maybe 3%. If over 10 years like the last even with the huge market losses in 2009-10 just index investing (without a cap) would have earned 7%+ with most of it tax deferred (even individually owned since most of this would be LTCG on sale not taxed on unrealized gains) the net would be far better with liquidity than dead equity in a home.

However, for many folks they just feel better with a home paid off even if historically it would not make economic sense over almost all time periods. This is due to the lost opportunity cost if the funds were used for other investments.

Yes you have to have enough income coming in to afford payments but being more aggressive myself, I'd rather not have dead equity in a home. This is especially true if you want to continue to own the home a long time, or in retirement.

As real estate values move up, the equity is still "dead" since it would be very expensive to refinance to free it up unless you are going to sell the home.

BTW DHK, great comments in LifeHealthPro article

Last edited:
Back