Has anyone done Aetna Retail outside of AEP?

Travis Price

Guru
1000 Post Club
So, Aetna has a retail program with CVS like Wal-mart, but they do it year-round (I don't know if Walmart does.)

The cost is literally just the marketing setup (they have branded stands vs the ole table since CVS's are generally smaller) that costs 199$ + S/H.

I have two CVS's in Traverse, I'm wondering if anyone's participated in this outside of AEP and if it's worth it?

I didn't do it myself but I worked with several agents that did. It was not beneficial for any of them so I wouldn't recommend spending any time outside of AEP doing it.

Thanks!

I work heavily as a gatherer for prospects vs a hunter for leads. My time is the most important commodity to me. I'd rather sit at home playing Candy Crush than stand at a CVS for minimal benefit.

Thanks!

I work heavily as a gatherer for prospects vs a hunter for leads. My time is the most important commodity to me. I'd rather sit at home playing Candy Crush than stand at a CVS for minimal benefit.

I play Candy Crush too!! Avid player. Keeps me calm in between calls. Escapism from all the rejection some of us undoubtedly experience. lol

I did do the training for sitting in the store, and opted against it. One, I didn't want to pay for the kiosk deal. Two, I learned by doing free HAP events during OEP it probably wouldn't be worth my time and gas. Two, the closest one for me is Midland which would be almost a two-hour round trip. I'd love to do some retail, in the right situation. I also live in farmland (hubby has about 1000 acres in Mid-michigan) and there's so far nothing close to me.

If a Walmart would open up in my area I do think it would be worth it. I've tried myself to get into the local Dollar General, bc there's a ton of DSNP foot traffic and I almost did but it never got through their Human resources. Just while I was standing in there talking to the manager I was being approached (had some info in my hands with a certain LOGO). The manager and district manager was all for it, but it got to the HR desk and never moved. Gave up and did the local VFW which was just "ok", but I am still working that.

I play Candy Crush too!! Avid player. Keeps me calm in between calls. Escapism from all the rejection some of us undoubtedly experience. lol

I did do the training for sitting in the store, and opted against it. One, I didn't want to pay for the kiosk deal. Two, I learned by doing free HAP events during OEP it probably wouldn't be worth my time and gas. Two, the closest one for me is Midland which would be almost a two-hour round trip. I'd love to do some retail, in the right situation. I also live in farmland (hubby has about 1000 acres in Mid-michigan) and there's so far nothing close to me.

If a Walmart would open up in my area I do think it would be worth it. I've tried myself to get into the local Dollar General, bc there's a ton of DSNP foot traffic and I almost did but it never got through their Human resources. Just while I was standing in there talking to the manager I was being approached (had some info in my hands with a certain LOGO). The manager and district manager was all for it, but it got to the HR desk and never moved. Gave up and did the local VFW which was just "ok", but I am still working on that.

I just bought a 9.5-acre hobby farm near Manton. The closest two closest CVSs are in Traverse, which is 40m one way. The kiosk purchase isn't as bad as the Walmart one for AEP.

If it was actually productive, I'd buy it.. but if the answer is no (which it seems to be) then I don't want to do it.

I was working full time, buying the farm, selling my house in Traverse, and had two surgeries (deviated septum and knee arthroscopy) since October, so I had to take a break. My pipeline kind of dried up. I restarted my direct mail program in March, but that takes time to producing as it targets T65 8-9m out.

Come August I'll be in full swing again (I believe.) Right now, I have some Subject Matter Expert writing that I do for a "competing" website that covers my nut working about 10 hours a week and I have a ton of savings that I've been preparing since 2015 for this transition (plus my book and house profit), but I have a lot of time on my hands so I thought I'd check it out..

Unlike most people, I don't want a full calendar and I HATE doing outbound calling when I don't know how the lead was produced. I just want to build my book up to where I can cover and maintain my expenses and savings goals until the world implodes.

Last edited:
So, Aetna has a retail program with CVS like Wal-mart, but they do it year-round (I don't know if Walmart does.)

The cost is literally just the marketing setup (they have branded stands vs the ole table since CVS's are generally smaller) that costs 199$ + S/H.

I have two CVS's in Traverse, I'm wondering if anyone's participated in this outside of AEP and if it's worth it?

I just can't imagine any of these working very well. Sure, you may pick up a sale here and there, but at what cost (time). For me personally, I can't think of anything more torturous than sitting in a retail store in the hopes of someone coming to speak to me. But that's just me. It is meant as no offense to someone who may work these programs. I guess if I were brand new to the business I could see giving it a try, but it wouldn't take long for me to realize I could make better use of my time.

It’s going to be mostly dsnp business . I assure you if they approach you at a Walmart table their also sending in 10 direct mail a month and answering 20 calls a month .I was at a guys house yesterday . Pulled out 3 cards from last 3 quarters different carriers . Now Humana vantage shows current plan there on and effective date . He had one with 4/1 effective he hasn’t even got card yet . I packed my stuff and walked . I walk if I detect a serial switcher .

It’s going to be mostly dsnp business . I assure you if they approach you at a Walmart table their also sending in 10 direct mail a month and answering 20 calls a month .I was at a guys house yesterday . Pulled out 3 cards from last 3 quarters different carriers . Now Humana vantage shows current plan there on and effective date . He had one with 4/1 effective he hasn’t even got card yet . I packed my stuff and walked . I walk if I detect a serial switcher .

Walked from one an hour ago. YEP! No way! and how the doc offices must love that too. Talked to a doc office lady too today, real PITA. People enrolling these folks into one plan after another, knowing that at least some enrollees may have just got their mail order meds set up and such. Then, as soon as they do get all set up, oh time to switch again. For what? an additional $25 flex card for utilities. Hmmmm..... I don't have it in me to bother...

Being new, at first glance it seemed to good to be true. Guess what? It is...

Yeah, I don't like DSNPs, my ONLY charge back was for DNSP. I do have one that hasn't changed in years though.

I just bought a 9.5-acre hobby farm near Manton. The closest two closest CVSs are in Traverse, which is 40m one way. The kiosk purchase isn't as bad as the Walmart one for AEP.

\ My pipeline kind of dried up. I restarted my direct mail program in March, but that takes time to producing as it targets T65 8-9m out.

Come August I'll be in full swing again (I believe.) \.

Yes, my pipeline too, is rather dry. I do a ton of other things as well. Another very busy job in property management 4 days a week, kids, etc. I take care of the farm house, groceries, cleaning and feeding for my very busy farmer man, and truth is that's a time consuming task :-0

I should've bought more mailers right away, bc now through our vendor, I cannot get any T65 at all. Not sure what it meant, but he said bc there are none until August. I think that might've meant they were all bought in my area. I need to call again. I did buy what he said were available, the generic. Those were awful return.

I am looking into and almost ready to pull the trigger on T65 Inbound? Know anything about that one?

Right, I know Walmart is high. I just saw an agent do almost 200 though in a rural Walmart last AEP. Sure, it would be a lot of DSNP, but it would also be a lot of exposure. Anyway, there's none in my area so it's not an option. DSNP in my area is plentiful and sadly if I want to write business that will have to be part of it, I am just going to be careful/selective of who I write. NO DSNP chargebacks yet, but at least one fell away b4 I was paid.

Back