Health Benefits Options in OH - Unique Situation

Jeremy Nichols

Hi,

I was looking for some help with potential state/federal benefits aid based on my situation. Here is an overview of what's going on:

- technically married but spouse and I haven't lived at same residence in ~5 years.
- I have a full-time job and I'm enrolled in benefits. Spouse and 4 kids covered.
- Spouse owns a small business, so she has no access to employee benefits.

I may have an upcoming opportunity to transition to music full time, and I would be ending my employment with my current employer. If so, I'd need to provide benefits for myself and my kids out of pocket. I'd be interested in any state/federal programs that could possibly provide assistance. Here are some questions I have in that regard:

- When applying for benefits and assistance, would I be required to consider my spouse's income in addition to mine?
- Am I required to continue carrying benefits on my spouse, even if she is able to find a coverage solution on her own?
- If the answer to one or both of the above is "no", do you know of any assistance plans that I would potentially qualify for to help subsidize insurance costs?

Thank you!

Its called HealthCare.gov....aka the Marketplace...or possibly Medicaid for the kids. All depends on houshold income....dependents on tax returns.....if you are separated, you may not have to include her income. Too many variables to give crisp advice.

You should at least start by playing 20 questions with an experienced health insurance agent

Its called HealthCare.gov....aka the Marketplace...or possibly Medicaid for the kids. All depends on houshold income....dependents on tax returns.....if you are separated, you may not have to include her income. Too many variables to give crisp advice.

You should at least start by playing 20 questions with an experienced health insurance agent

Yes, much to consider here - I'm sure my best bet is to talk to someone directly. I greatly appreciate your advice!

Back