**HHS PCIP Network -vs- State PCIP Networks**

AllenChicago

Guru
5000 Post Club
Some company named "GEHA" is administering the new Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan(PCIP)for Health and Human Services(HHS). It's a really nice website that's easy on the eyes and easy to navigate.
PCIP - Pre-existing Condition Insurance Plan - Home

But, as usual our government made a big mistake by allowing each state to decide if they wanted to administer the PCIP plan, or give it over to GEHA/HHS to administer. Why? Because if you sign up in a GEHA/HHS state and get sick or injured while visiting, or passing through one of the states that decided to administer the PCIP plan on a local level, you will be OUT OF NETWORK. I used the doctor/hospital finder at PCIPLAN.com to find medical providers in South Bend, Indiana. There are plenty. But, if you go across the state line to Chicago, Illinois, or north into the state of Michigan, you will find not a single doctor or hospital in the network.

Here is a link to the PCIP brochure for the GEHA/HHS product. https://www.pcip.gov/PCIP_ pamphlet_benefits_summary.pdf . Amazingly, it's only 4 pages long, but as you can see, out-of-network penalties are quite high.

Also, the brochure says that you pay a $25 Doctor Copay AFTER you meet the $2,500 deductible. Could this be a typo? The prescription benefits are the most complicated I've ever seen, but I suppose that's because the government designed this plan.

All in all though, the GEHA/HHS PCIP policy is less expensive and more benefit rich than our local Illinois CHIP policy for those who are uninsurable via private coverage. But GEHA/HHS should have not given states the option to administer their own PCIP...essentially creating multiple networks with no reciprocity. Not yet anyway.
-A.C.

Surprise....also, what's a generic specialty drug? Aren't specialty drugs those that are biotech/injectable and don't have generic alternatives? Never seen a "generic" specialty drug before...

It's my understanding all co pays are after deductible. Look at the prescription co pay holes as well. For a plan that is $350 to $650+/mo with a lot of out of pocket and $5 BILLION in soon to run out subsidies this is a joke by all accounts.

We already had a state risk pool - leave us alone!

It's estimated that only 2,300 to 2,500 people in Illinois will be able to enroll in Illinois before the brakes are applied and new enrollments terminated. The officials will then hold their breath and pray that the $192 million allocated for this state will last until 2014. Most experts believe that the $192 million will be exhausted in early 2013, or sooner. The states on the PCIP map will start to turn grey in color as enrollment cut-offs are reached next year.

I don't know if I'm running the search wrong but I can't find a single provider within 20 miles. If I expand to 50 miles and search for something like sports medicine there's a few.

I'm in MD and it's showing that closest OB/GYN is Virginia. Better than that, none of the 4 hospitals near me show up. Yeah, this will work out just fine.

Last edited:
On a somewhat related note, I noticed Quotit is now including PCIP proposals along with Aetna, Blue, etc in their quote engine.

Last edited:
I don't think hardly anyone even knows this program exists.

I still refer quite a few to it. Most come back and say they can't afford it.

Things won't get better in 2014.

Back