HIPAA Laws Regarding Release of Records

ZenSamurai

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
New York
I have a doctor who keeps hanging up on the life insurance company asking for the medical records and it's been two months already. This has to be illegal in some way. The proposed insured signed for the medical records to be released to the life insurance company. There has to be a time limit as to release the records. Does anybody know if this is indeed illegal to simply hang up on a life insurance company requesting for the release of the medical records especially when the proposed insured signed the release on the application?

I have a doctor who keeps hanging up on the life insurance company asking for the medical records and it's been two months already. This has to be illegal in some way. The proposed insured signed for the medical records to be released to the life insurance company. There has to be a time limit as to release the records. Does anybody know if this is indeed illegal to simply hang up on a life insurance company requesting for the release of the medical records especially when the proposed insured signed the release on the application?

The doc has 30days by hipaa law. There is a thread somewhere fairly recent in the life forum that I posted details on this and how I go about it when there is a serious holdup.

----------

http://www.insurance-forums.net/for...re-physician-not-being-cooperatve-t76254.html

When an office is difficult, ask your applicant to contact the office stressing the importance of getting that information to the insurance company. Usually works very well. I only do this as a last resort though, it's like telling mom.

Insurance companies pay for medical records.

Back