Hit by car not owned by driver - CA

Always get a police accident report. Always get the license plate (allows you to find the owner)

Just because they said you CAN take info and move on. Doesnt mean you SHOULD. And doesnt mean that you CANT have an officer come to the scene and write up a report. Maybe that is a state by state thing. But anytime Ive been in that situation and asked for an officer, one was sent.

The officer visiting the scene of the accident gives a better perspective and will give an "official" account of what seemed to have happened. Doesnt mean the insurance carrier will agree, but its one more piece of evidence to have on your side. (assuming the officer thinks the other party is at fault)

Also, the officer will be able to run the plate and can tell you who the owner of the car is. (since you are legally entitled to that info)

---

Ive been hit 3 times in my life. The only time I didnt get an accident report was when it was a parking lot and I had a picture of the car backed into my parked car. And I was still nervous a bit over that... but wanted to avoid having damage recorded on the cars history.

Back