Homeless: The Untapped Demographic?

Could it be possible that he is an Accountant, with a Lawyer, backed by a group that is proving a point about the sliminess of the ACA rules, and those who lie about their income in order to get into ACA or out of ACA (into Medicaid)? A radical group could undermine the ACA quickly by signing up all the people that truly qualified for it. After all, this is what the ACA actually says.

I've been thinking about this too. But which group ??? It could be a conservative group showing the cracks in the ACA....but then again it could be a liberal group pushing for the expansion of medicaid. Not sure what to think...he could just be crackpot running around out there thinking he's saving the world.

This is the kind of stuff that Navigators are paid to do.

No need to say any more. Not just the navigators, but the social workers, churches having enrollment parties, etc.

This thing is bigger than just what goes on at goodluck.gov. There are literally hundreds of organizations pushing this crap and they do so with impunity.

I'll play the devil's advocate here.
Where he will probably get nailed is if a large percentage of the homeless people state (or can prove) that they did not authorize the purchase, did not disclose their true income to him, did not sign (or authorize him to sign) the app for them, did not pick a plan, etc. That would be a huge issue in front of DOI or CMS.

Ann, as always, you bring up some interesting points and things I hadn't considered.

It is possible he has other goals for doing this, I guess we will find out at some point in time.

What bothers me about this more than anything else is that it will most likely wind up being an indictment of insurance agents in general and just add another brick in the wall that separates us from our livelihood.

I think you're giving the guy way too much credit, for doing anything other than trying to make some fast money. My guess is he was too stupid to realize the consequences...I had a dentist client several years ago that went to jail for not only over billing medicaid, but billing for services that weren't performed, on patients that he had not seen for years. What he did was so ridiculous, it was hard to believe that he was actually licensed.

Agreed, Bill3173. At first blush, it appears that this guy is stupid, highly unethical, and misusing a vulnerable segment of society for his own quick gain. At "last blush" it may turn out exactly the same way. But, reading his statement, you realize that he is highly intelligent and relying on ACCURATE issues in the ACA and the IRS tax laws for doing what he did. Personally I think he will (and should) be nailed on the issue of enrolling people without their knowledge or consent. Kind of like your dentist client who filed for government benefits for people who he had not seen in years. Perhaps he is like your dentist client, who is intelligent yet stupid.

I think you're giving the guy way too much credit, for doing anything other than trying to make some fast money. My guess is he was too stupid to realize the consequences...I had a dentist client several years ago that went to jail for not only over billing medicaid, but billing for services that weren't performed, on patients that he had not seen for years. What he did was so ridiculous, it was hard to believe that he was actually licensed.

How about the Michigan Oncologist who was "diagnosing" people with cancer just so he could give them Chemotherapy and bill the insurance companies for it?

Slimebags at every turn and in every profession.

No need to say any more. Not just the navigators, but the social workers, churches having enrollment parties, etc.

This thing is bigger than just what goes on at goodluck.gov. There are literally hundreds of organizations pushing this crap and they do so with impunity.

But it's not working. HHS says that, as of right now, only 36% of ObamaCare's target market have coverage. Obama thinks the fault lies with states that didn't expand Medicaid.

But it's not working. HHS says that, as of right now, only 36% of ObamaCare's target market have coverage. Obama thinks the fault lies with states that didn't expand Medicaid.

Obama and company says unemployment is 5.3% yet 92M people are not in the work force.

They can say anything.

If the goal was to expand Medicaid they could have done that without dismantling everything else. Medicaid expansion is a red herring.

Obama also things ISIS isn't a threat. They are just the JV team.

Back