Homeowners Insurance Florida, Help Please

Fallout

I live in Miami Florida (Kendall). I also have credit problems due to a bankruptcy filing that was almost 2 years ago. I am currently paying $7,100.00 a year (down from $7,600) for homeowners insurance through Florida Peninsula for $215,000 in coverage, with a $4,300 deductible. Yes, ouch. Formerly, I was with Citizens and they charged me $7000 a year as well. i have an experienced local independent agent who has tried to get me alternate coverage, but I don't know how hard they have honestly tried. A California-based company was close to giving me a policy, but apparently they declined at the last minute due to my credit history. Since I have a mortgage, I must of course have coverage, and I do meet all my expenses without fail each month. My reasons for posting here are twofold:

(1)I can barely manage the mortgage payment each month and am seeking a new policy if someone will write it despite my credit problems.

(2) Florida Peninsula recently sent me a questionnaire that I am afraid to answer, with such things as having a alarm, pets, screened enclosure, etc. I am concerned that they will raise my rates even further using any excuse. Advice?

I have a new roof, re-wire, and wind mitigation report, if that helps.

John

Additional: My wife (co-owner and co-policy holder) did NOT file bankruptcy and should have good credit, if that helps.

Last edited:
I live in Miami Florida (Kendall). I also have credit problems due to a bankruptcy filing that was almost 2 years ago. I am currently paying $7,100.00 a year (down from $7,600) for homeowners insurance through Florida Peninsula for $215,000 in coverage, with a $4,300 deductible. Yes, ouch. Formerly, I was with Citizens and they charged me $7000 a year as well. i have an experienced local independent agent who has tried to get me alternate coverage, but I don't know how hard they have honestly tried. A California-based company was close to giving me a policy, but apparently they declined at the last minute due to my credit history. Since I have a mortgage, I must of course have coverage, and I do meet all my expenses without fail each month. My reasons for posting here are twofold:

(1)I can barely manage the mortgage payment each month and am seeking a new policy if someone will write it despite my credit problems.

(2) Florida Peninsula recently sent me a questionnaire that I am afraid to answer, with such things as having a alarm, pets, screened enclosure, etc. I am concerned that they will raise my rates even further using any excuse. Advice?

I have a new roof, re-wire, and wind mitigation report, if that helps.

John

Additional: My wife (co-owner and co-policy holder) did NOT file bankruptcy and should have good credit, if that helps.

Hello John,

I have an independent agency in Broward county which isn't far from you and access to almost all the homeowners carriers in your area. Please e-mail me your wind mitigation inspection and if you have a 4 point inspection to [email protected] and I will be sure to check all the options and make sure you are getting the best rate possible. Thank you and have a great day.

Thanks I will do that later today. I spoke to my State Farm agent yesterday and although they couldn't get me a cheaper policy, the agent said I could probably get a significant discount on my current policy if I get a newer wind mitigation report. According to him, my policy does not accurately reflect what my roof has as far as fasteners etc. Anyway, I'll send it shortly.

John

Latest posts

Back