Hosting Providers

VPS and cloud are basically the same thing with different levels of power being reserved for them.

A VPS server is a virtual instance inside a server box, usually shared by around 8 people total (If the host isn't bad). Compared to shared hosting, you might be sharing that server with hundreds of people.

Cloud just means you don't have your own reserved physical hardware, technically a VPS is a "Cloud" server.

Of course when you get into high end scalability of the server and other things like that cloud instances come into play, but I doubt any of us is getting thousands and thousands of visits a day to necessitate failover and multiple instances and all the other fun things you CAN do with cloud servers.

Thanks.

Any opinion on cloud vs VPS?

On the new product I'm launching I'm going the VPS route. It's going to be database heavy, so it's probably overkill for websites.

What didn't you like about hostgator?

I have my high traffic sites on WPEngine. Love them.

I actually met one of the guys who started the company last night in Austin at a Wordpress 10 year anniversary party. I asked him what he did at WPEngine..his response - "I started the company". Oops...Solid guy though - makes me want to support the product even more.

What didn't you like about hostgator?

Shared hosting slow and unresponsive. Same for customer no service.

Supposedly they are in upgrade mode (servers) but not holding my breath.

Jeff, WPEngine is one I am considering along with VPS through Media Temple.

Believe I can get what I want from MT for $50 vs $99 with WPE but want to make sure before I jump . . . again . . .

Back