How Can I Become a Successful Insurance Agent?

Greatguy

Hello All,
I just graduated and am thinking of making a successful career for myself in the financial services/ insurance industry. I would really appreciate your advice on how to begin this journey and also necessary licenses that would help actualize this dream. I am currently in Michigan
Thanks very much for your responses.
Cheers!

Last edited:
The first thing is that you have to be a "Great Guy". Oh, wait, you already are one. :laugh:

It would be helpful if you would let us know if you have picked a product you would like to sell. That can make a difference regarding the kind of suggestions we offer.

For example, I sell Med Supps. If you consider that market it would be inadvisable for an agent to be captive. One premium increase could knock that company out of being competitive in a state.

Seniors go shopping when their premiums increase. A successful agent in that market must have the ability to contract with at least the top three most competitive companies in their state.

Greatguy...
You should probably get going on the license process as soon as your able. I'm also new, made the choice to go after my Life/Health lic here in Ca. Requires a total of 52 hours of education in my state, then pass the state exam. Good luck...

If you decide to go independent instead of captive you may want to check out the IHIAA to learn the ropes of health insurance and the ILIAA to learn the ropes of selling life insurance.

Back