How often Should I Create Content for My Website?

The amount of content you need depends completely on your keyword research and your competitors. The point of writing content is to drive traffic. One way content drives traffic is by being shared on other blogs or social media. Another way is through search engines.

If you do your keyword research and find something you want to rank for like “high risk auto insurance Miami” the next step is to look at your competitors and see how they are ranking.

It’s possible one very well optimized 1,000 word blog post with a few legit back links and some social signals could show up on the first page of google. On the other hand, to get on the first page, it might take that original blog post plus five or ten others on the topic of high risk auto insurance linking to the original post.

Writing 200 posts instead of 100 doesn’t necessarily mean you will get twice the traffic....at all. If you do proper keyword and competitor research you can write less posts while getting more traffic.

The amount of content you need depends completely on your keyword research and your competitors. The point of writing content is to drive traffic. One way content drives traffic is by being shared on other blogs or social media. Another way is through search engines.

If you do your keyword research and find something you want to rank for like “high risk auto insurance Miami” the next step is to look at your competitors and see how they are ranking.

It’s possible one very well optimized 1,000 word blog post with a few legit back links and some social signals could show up on the first page of google. On the other hand, to get on the first page, it might take that original blog post plus five or ten others on the topic of high risk auto insurance linking to the original post.

Writing 200 posts instead of 100 doesn’t necessarily mean you will get twice the traffic....at all. If you do proper keyword and competitor research you can write less posts while getting more traffic.

Keyword research is starting to phase out. Google is starting to view search intent vs specific phrases. For example, I rank #1 for Medicare Supplement insurance agency in 49686. I never use this phrase in my website.

I sell Medicare Supplements and live in Traverse City, which is on my website.

The truth is, the Elmore words you write, the more Google can nail down what your content is about. The more often you write, the more lines in the water you have to attract for keywords.

I’m not saying that keyword research isn’t important. I’m saying Google doesn’t look for keywords as much as search intent. Writing GOOD QUALITY content is more important that trying to write for a specific keyword.

Keyword research is starting to phase out. Google is starting to view search intent vs specific phrases. For example, I rank #1 for Medicare Supplement insurance agency in 49686. I never use this phrase in my website.

I sell Medicare Supplements and live in Traverse City, which is on my website.

The truth is, the Elmore words you write, the more Google can nail down what your content is about. The more often you write, the more lines in the water you have to attract for keywords.

I’m not saying that keyword research isn’t important. I’m saying Google doesn’t look for keywords as much as search intent. Writing GOOD QUALITY content is more important that trying to write for a specific keyword.

You're correct that search intent is a factor but it definitely isn't replacing specific phrase searches or keyword research. Search intent should be a consideration when writing content but it should never replace the foundation of keyword and competitor research.

Let me give you an example, you said you rank #1 for "Medicare Supplement insurance agency in 49686". I can tell you right now, that keyword is going to generate very little traffic. I can also tell you that it would be extremely easy to create one web page and get it ranked for that keyword because it's such a specific low traffic keyword. Why do that though when you can target keywords that drive high quality traffic?

Also, search intent doesn't necessarily mean ranking for keywords that you don't specifically target. Search intent simply means creating content that first and foremost answers the question of the searcher. For example, using your keyword above, you could write a post detailing the steps to get medicare supplement insurance. Where search intent would come into play is when someone located in the area code of 49686 searched for something like "medicare supplement insurance". Google would process that search and assume the intent behind the search was to sign up for medicare supplement insurance. They would then show your page because it has great on page seo optimization, you use the proper schema in your steps, and it plainly and clearly outlines the steps to get medicare supplement insurance.

Building content with search intent in mind is always a good idea but search intent definitely doesn't replace a good foundation built on keyword/competitor research. Why build your site for search intent when you can do proper keyword/competitor research, rank for high traffic keywords, and then enjoy the benefits of search intent?

Last edited:
Yeah, I disagree.. SEO for insurance agencies is different than marketing most products. Local is actually more important than general keywords, due to your license restrictions. While I plan to move nationwide, driving all the traffic to your site you can (for quotes) isn’t quality traffic.

I mean, you live in a large state, but if you start getting calls from FL (which I do) and don’t have a FL license, it’s a wasted effort.

My “low traffic” zip code counts actually drive more traffic than the Medicare Insurance agent and Medicare quotes in Traverse City, which I also rank 1 in..

Yeah, I disagree.. SEO for insurance agencies is different than marketing most products. Local is actually more important than general keywords, due to your license restrictions. While I plan to move nationwide, driving all the traffic to your site you can (for quotes) isn’t quality traffic.

I mean, you live in a large state, but if you start getting calls from FL (which I do) and don’t have a FL license, it’s a wasted effort.

My “low traffic” zip code counts actually drive more traffic than the Medicare Insurance agent and Medicare quotes in Traverse City, which I also rank 1 in..

That's ok, you can definitely disagree! Building websites for local based businesses and ranking them has been my career for the last 7 - 8 years. Hopefully, I'm going to transition into insurance sales relatively soon, but I do have standing in this area and want to help out others here if I can.

I also think you missed the whole point of my post and that's probably my fault. It's funny, because you actually re-enforced exactly what I am saying.

In order to rank sites based on local searches, the best route is to do keyword research, competitor research, and then build your content around that. Since you have some data to go off of, you know now what keyword is performing really well for you. The next step would be to create content for the keyword that is driving traffic.

That's ok, you can definitely disagree! Building websites for local based businesses and ranking them has been my career for the last 7 - 8 years. Hopefully, I'm going to transition into insurance sales relatively soon, but I do have standing in this area and want to help out others here if I can.

I also think you missed the whole point of my post and that's probably my fault. It's funny, because you actually re-enforced exactly what I am saying.

In order to rank sites based on local searches, the best route is to do keyword research, competitor research, and then build your content around that. Since you have some data to go off of, you know now what keyword is performing really well for you. The next step would be to create content for the keyword that is driving traffic.

Fair enough. Good luck on becoming an agent.

You should own your content, but part of a blogging strategy can include guest posting for backlinks and traffic, but you should be strategic about who you guest blog with.

My blog is dedicated within my website. Wordpress sites almost all start with a blog page.

Here’s my site as an example:
Find the Best Medicare Plans in Michigan - Travis Price.

There’s some adjustments I’m making with video and adding a customer facing quote creater (hopefully that will add today)
HEY Travis , I like your site, good for you and good luck man
BTW : My uncle is a dentist and he know how to fix a carburetor .LOL

HEY Travis , I like your site, good for you and good luck man
BTW : My uncle is a dentist and he know how to fix a carburetor .LOL

Thanks! It’s come a long way in the couple of months I’ve had it. I’ve had little glimpses of activity. A few calls and about 300 visits per month in paid traffic, which was a test run.

I have some video I want to do on the home page.. but I’m not a huge fan of being in front of the camera. However, I find the more videos I do with my face v animation, the more activity I get.

I don’t see it drawing the traffic I want for another 4-7 months, but I like my little piece of the internet:

Back