How Soon After Somebody Dies Would You Approach the Loved One?

I agree that 2-3 months or even longer is the soonest this couple should be approached. Bear in mind that a large percentage of couples wind up splitting up over the death of a child. This may not be the opportunity you think it is.

DHK? kid died 4 days ago according to the OP. While what you mention is good, I don't think it should be delivered maybe at the earliest a couple to three months later. Things are a little too fresh if the child passed 4 days ago.

While the situation is a little different, I did the EXACT same thing with a young widow (27 years old) who buried her husband (29 years old). The timing was about a week after the funeral, especially when her older attorney brother told me that they did NO planning at all whatsoever.

It was my way of simply being a resource.

Of course, the family relationship helps, but always go with your gut. If and doubt... do nothing.

While the situation is a little different, I did the EXACT same thing with a young widow (27 years old) who buried her husband (29 years old). The timing was about a week after the funeral, especially when her older attorney brother told me that they did NO planning at all whatsoever.

It was my way of simply being a resource.

Of course, the family relationship helps, but always go with your gut. If and doubt... do nothing.

I think the situation is much different being left alone with the lose of a spouse versus a couple losing a child.

If there is a need for coverage I say asap. Especially if someone is passing the hat for help with burial.

Just want to throw it out there: I wasn't planning to wait four days. I just wasn't sure how long I should wait. It's a very sensitive issue. The reason I asked was that at the end of it all thy setup a charity site for her and her bf to raise 1,500.00 for her grieving, time off from work and some money to cremate her baby. I started thinking: oh so they want to create a life insurance after the fact and what better way to protect them if she gets pregnant again?!! Except it won't be for 1500.00 it'll be for more.

BTW I still felt a bit weird asking this but I mean 1500 is nothing for her grieving, time off from work or even cremating the baby! They could've gotten so much more and completely could have had all that money they both lost from taking off from work back and more.

It's incredible but coming into this field I thought "why would anybody want life insurance?!" Then I thought about my mom and I struggling after my dad died and then a friend who died of an overdose and now this.

----------

Just saying as a mother and trying to imagine what it must feel like to be in their shoes. If you came up to me with a flyer or something of that sort giving me recourse and offering your help i would appreciate it and maybe even look through it and give you a call. But when i hear or see subscribe to a news letter it just completely turns my attention away from you. Completely my opinion but an honest whole hearted one.

Thank you, Lorraine. I appreciate that. Also, thanks for everyone's opinions as well.

----------

They know I work in the financial field but they don't know I do life insurance. I'm not even certain they even know what life insurance is to be honest. I'm friends with her best friend and her best friend is having a birthday party in the next two weeks. If they I ask I'll tell them what I do to simply passively implant the seed of knowledge.

Last edited:
I took this question to my more experienced colleagues and they told me they didn't think anyone is ready to be approached until after the first anniversary... and then only by mail with a thoughtful card and maybe handwritten note.

Ahhhhh geeezeee.....you guys are pansies. I like to hand out business cards just before people head back out to their cars...

:D

I would not touch that with a 100' pole...if you are approaching on the basis of "your unborn baby died, and I sell life insurance."

I would give it a couple months at least...the grieving process for that must be loooong...I can't even imagine. Even when you to approach the subject, there should be absolutely no tie to their deceased baby...

The more I think about this one the more I agree. "Not touch with a 100' pole".

Latest posts

Back