How to Get Started As an in Independent Agent

I can't imagine it being that hard to learn, all I would need would be to read up and study the industry and just get to work?

The hardest part of being an indy agent isn't learning how to sell. It is getting appointments, affordable E&O coverage, etc..

Most companies aren't going to appoint you if they do not know that you know how to write PROFITABLE business. If you don't have an existing book of business to show them that you know how to do that, then they just won't appoint you. They don't want to gamble on newbies.

Good luck to you though, I hope you're able to do what others haven't.

I've decided that I don't want to waste anytime selling as a captive agent, I'd rather just cut to the chase as an independent agent, write my own book of business and make a bigger cut of the commissions. I'm a professional appointment setter for now and I've done both inside and outside sales, so the sales process isn't anything new to me. I can't imagine it being that hard to learn, all I would need would be to read up and study the industry and just get to work?

Good luck getting an appointment anywhere without a few mil in your book already. Good luck getting any training or support from the companies you represent. After a few months of research, the only feasible option for me was going captive for at least a few years.

I've decided that I don't want to waste anytime selling as a captive agent, I'd rather just cut to the chase as an independent agent, write my own book of business and make a bigger cut of the commissions. I'm a professional appointment setter for now and I've done both inside and outside sales, so the sales process isn't anything new to me. I can't imagine it being that hard to learn, all I would need would be to read up and study the industry and just get to work?

Check out Twilight on this forum...he's a great guy. He happens to be in texas for the next several weeks. He'll point you in the right direction.

You should probably go underneath a GA, make sure your not captive (at least i didnt enjoy being captive, and i didnt know the difference when i first started) your ga can train you..........after a couple years when your comfortable you can look at going company direct which is always nice.

Latest posts

Back