How to report an Insurance Broker in Texas?

Cant pay an unlicensed producer a split of commission, can only pay them for generating leads whether they lead to a sale or not. Paying only when sale happens or a percentage of sale requires proper licensing

Big shops mess with this all the time though.

They just pay in arrears on the lead total for the month.

So if you're supposed to get $100 per close, and generated 10 leads, they magically cost $10 each that month.

Next month when the agency closes 2, all of a sudden they're $20 a piece.

Big shops mess with this all the time though.

They just pay in arrears on the lead total for the month.

So if you're supposed to get $100 per close, and generated 10 leads, they magically cost $10 each that month.

Next month when the agency closes 2, all of a sudden they're $20 a piece.

Yup, creative way to avoid getting a fairly easy license to pass.

However, some states laws are pretty clear that some actions unrelated to compensation require being licensed when you "solicit someone to apply for insurance". So, the level of the detail in the call/approach will determine if a license is required, not just if a commission is paid. Especially on PC insurance that i think this is about. My bet is a person calling on PC is getting into some detail about coverages or possible policy types for the risk

Yup, creative way to avoid getting a fairly easy license to pass.

However, some states laws are pretty clear that some actions unrelated to compensation require being licensed when you "solicit someone to apply for insurance". So, the level of the detail in the call/approach will determine if a license is required, not just if a commission is paid. Especially on PC insurance that i think this is about. My bet is a person calling on PC is getting into some detail about coverages or possible policy types for the risk
Not disagreeing.

Seriously?

It was a rhetorical statement.

But, if the OP feels the need to "do something" that is about the extent of what they can do.

If the OP was indeed told they would receive comp that was never received, they certainly have a right to leave negative feedback about the business owner.

It most likely will not make them feel any better. But it is about all they can do, besides move on.

I tried filing a complaint with TDI but it seems like they only have a portal for consumer complaints. There seems to not be a portal for agents or contractors to file a complaint against a broker?

Alas, there is NOT a way for other agents to turn in a wayward agent. And we have PLENTY of them here.
As others here have opined, yours is a contractual matter that seems to be best resolved in Small Claims Court. As someone who recently filed (and won) a Small Claims case in Houston, please let me advise you that I waited a little over 15 months for the date due to Covid backlog. I’m pretty sure that it must be filed where the business is domiciled. Texas is also not a creditor friendly state, meaning that you might win the judgment, but it would not necessarily be easy to collect. The max allowable amount is $20,000.

Last edited:
According to what? As a broker, are you capable of being objective?

Umm, you came to post on a forum populated most by agents, so I assume you thought so.

How many Agent Karens try to report other agents to daddy Insurance commissioner? Or in this case disgruntled 1099, exagent nonemployees?

Last edited:
Back