How to Make Top $$ As a Producer

How do you guys prospect for commercial? Telemarketing to ask for appointments? In person cold calling to ask for appointments? Actual marketing ie. postcards, news paper, ppc etc... Do you buy commercial leads?

Love the advice. Best recommendation any agent should hear is: Do not work for a captive (AmFam, StateFarm, Farmers, etc). You will not have a career. Work for an independent so that you are building your own salary. Think of it this way. If Farmers has a large auto rate increase (which they did in Oregon) and you work for Farmers, how will you maintain your clients? Simply, you won't...

Love the advice. Best recommendation any agent should hear is: Do not work for a captive (AmFam, StateFarm, Farmers, etc). You will not have a career. Work for an independent so that you are building your own salary. Think of it this way. If Farmers has a large auto rate increase (which they did in Oregon) and you work for Farmers, how will you maintain your clients? Simply, you won't...

Rates come in cycles, so Yes you will keep a percentage of your clients. I win all the time against Indy producers simply for the fact that they know who "Farmers" is. Trust is huge with insurance. I can simply say, "do you know who home owners of america is?". The client 99% of the time say's no I've never heard of them. I simply respond, do you want a company you've never heard of to protect your largest asset, your home and family??? Guess who pays $10-30 more a month for my policies..... Hell I just sold a client and they are paying $900 more a year. They got slightly better coverage (I'm annoyed it was $900 more and thats a Farmer's pricing issue) but they Trust Farmers, not the Indy company.

Last edited:
todd02 said:
Rates come in cycles, so Yes you will keep a percentage of your clients. I win all the time against Indy producers simply for the fact that they know who "Farmers" is. Trust is huge with insurance. I can simply say, "do you know who home owners of america is?". The client 99% of the time say's no I've never heard of them. I simply respond, do you want a company you've never heard of to protect your largest asset, your home and family??? Guess who pays $10-30 more a month for my policies..... Hell I just sold a client and they are paying $900 more a year. They got slightly better coverage (I'm annoyed it was $900 more and thats a Farmer's pricing issue) but they Trust Farmers, not the Indy company.

Try that in Florida. When it comes to homeowners with any if the big guns(state farm,Allstate,farmers,liberty mutual,travelers etc...) ,I can go on but you get the point, that are not writing. Indy has a better survival rate these days here. Maybe auto but not home. They have to trust the agent and that's on you!

you lost all credibility when you say farmers beats IA's all the time. and no one will pay $900 MORE for a policy just for the name......

I just signed on with farmers last week. As soon as I get my licenses my 40/4 starts. Their training program is top notch and I'm really excited by the vibe in their office. Lets hope I have the same success as you Todd.

you lost all credibility when you say farmers beats IA's all the time. and no one will pay $900 MORE for a policy just for the name......

You must be ignorant or obtuse.... So people don't pay for "name" brand? Or maybe your just use to selling the Walmart crowd and don't know how to sell a name brand product. That's not to say I don't sell the Walmart crowd.... If they have good credit Farmers has some amazing rates regardless of social status.

So ya people won't pay $900 more for insurance protection just like they won't pay $1000 more for a suit or purse just because it has a brand name on it.

You've lost all credibility on being a sales professional.

You must be ignorant or obtuse.... So people don't pay for "name" brand? Or maybe your just use to selling the Walmart crowd and don't know how to sell a name brand product. That's not to say I don't sell the Walmart crowd.... If they have good credit Farmers has some amazing rates regardless of social status.

So ya people won't pay $900 more for insurance protection just like they won't pay $1000 more for a suit or purse just because it has a brand name on it.

You've lost all credibility on being a sales professional.

Only an ignorant salesman thinks someone will pay $900 MORE for a name. and yes, my ignorance stopped after my 5 years at farmers. :swoon::twitchy::no:

Only an ignorant salesman thinks someone will pay $900 MORE for a name. and yes, my ignorance stopped after my 5 years at farmers. :swoon::twitchy::no:

Ok. Well any day you want to compare 1099's give me a bet ;). I'm only 3 years in and made 228k last year. On track to gross 300k this year.

Latest posts

Back