I Am A Resident In Assisted Living

My mom and dad both have LTC policies. My mom went into a nursing home in June. Her yearly premium for her policy is due November 15th. Also, she just became Medicaid eligible. So, should my dad continue to pay her premium or just let is lapse?

My mom and dad both have LTC policies. My mom went into a nursing home in June. Her yearly premium for her policy is due November 15th. Also, she just became Medicaid eligible. So, should my dad continue to pay her premium or just let is lapse?
Before you let it lapse see if the policy has a non-forfeiture feature.

Does your dad also have a policy?

How old is your mom? Are you sure it's Medicaid and not medicare? It would be strange for her to have an LTC policy and yet qualify for Medicaid that quickly.

If he can't make the payment, you could also switch the mode (to monthly/quarterly, etc.) depending on mom's health.

You should really talk to someone (hopefully a referral or someone who specializes in LTC) and put all of your cards on the table. Too many variables here. They will be much better at advising you (in most cases) than the internet will be.

CALL THE CARRIER OF THE POLICY AND SEE IF IT HAS A NON-PAYMENT OF PREMIUM OPTION ONCE THE POLICY STARTS TO PAY BENEFITS. Most do. If you can;'t get the carrier to answer, call the agent of record

CALL THE CARRIER OF THE POLICY AND SEE IF IT HAS A NON-PAYMENT OF PREMIUM OPTION ONCE THE POLICY STARTS TO PAY BENEFITS. Most do. If you can;'t get the carrier to answer, call the agent of record
What am I missing here.. If she has an LTC policy and is confined to a nursing home, should it not be paying benefits? Why would you do anything with it other than pay the premium? :confused:

Back