I feel like selling ACA plans are underrated

Dan OBrien

Expert
I’m currently a w2 agent selling ACA and ancillary benefits, and I feel like too many people think theres no money in it. Sure the ACA plan itself pays shitty, the ancillary benefits are where the money is at. Almost every single ACA plan I sell, I also sell about $900 AP in ancillaries (vision/dental/accident). This seems very lucrative and I think I’m gonna go independent in a year or two and focus my attention on this market. It’s a pretty easy sale compared to life insurance.

what do you guys think? Am I wrong? What are the pros and cons?

People are just still weary of losing their commissions again, maybe. Less than 10 years ago, you could sign up a family of 4 and get 20-25% comm. easily $200-250/month. Then after ACA most stopped giving commissions or if they did it was super small. The commissions are starting to slowly come back though. Im 99% Medicare so I don’t do much of it, but im glad I just added ACA back

......10 years ago, you could sign up a family of 4 and get 20-25% comm. easily $200-250/month.
Back then, you filled out the 14 page health questionnaire only to have a decline. Then, you filled out another 14 page health questionnaire and applied to another company to only get declined again. Lots and lots of wasted time. In 2013, I was lucky to get 3 out of 10 approved. And that was after screening who I would submit apps on.
Now, it's a volume game.

I refused it for a long time. Every blue moon I get a call for ACA. I haven't written one yet, but I do offer them.

Back