If I Win the Lottery Question for You Experts.

Charleston is great- I was born there. Neat town, and the people there are great.
I was there a month or so ago and it kinda caught my attention how diverse the crowd was everywhere we went, but how nobody seemed to care and everyone we ran into was super friendly.

One of the winners is putting up their pic next to their winning ticket on facebook.

I thought you should not let people know that you won the big money. In certain states, you dont have to show up and have your picture taken with the big check.

So would everyone agree that you should hire a lawyer and tax person before doing anything? Also maybe start a trust? Also you should be in no rush to claim the money or let anyone know that you won the money?

I would be visiting a lawyer before claiming the prize specifically to make sure I would not be on TV recieving a big check...

If I decide I wanted to give some away to friends and family I would NOT do it directly but have a third party (Attorney) do it while maintaing me annominity.

I don't want anyone to know if I had just won over half a billion dollars. Especially clients could you imagine how many people might decide that and easy thing would be to sue and settle for some small change.

I'd claim the prize in a trust. I would also give away most to family and friends but maybe do it with annuities that I receive commissions on. ha

I'd be willing to bet that wouldn't stand up to a court challenge.

Actually, it would John, each state has it own rules that are published and are expressly agreed to prior to "playing" the lottery. Upon purchasing a ticket, the player agrees to be bound by the terms, of said contract.

i.e. some states you choose the lump sum or the 26 year payment option after you win, a couple states you must declare at time of purchase of the ticket.

Some states (like Ca ) don't require you to pay income tax on your lottery win, while in others not only does the state want their cut but so does the city in the case of NYC and Yonkers, Ny.

Some states allow you a year to claim your prize, while in New Mexico you got 90 days.

In some states like Maryland and Kansas you can be anonymous but most states require "public' notice of the winner and the winner agrees to 'promotional' activities associated with the 'game'.

This is no different, then wining Ms. USA .....before going in you "know the deal".... it's part of:

1) Keeping the lottery 'honest' looking...how many "anonymous" winners would we need before the public 'feels' the whole thing is a 'scam' (where only lottery official's 3rd cousins are WINING all the never seen money)

2) Ms. USA can't win the crown and go home, part of the deal is to play nice for the cameras, 'show' ppl at home it's real. At the same time it's promotion for the pageant/ lottery. It is the 'price' of winning and in the terms of the contract, that you agreed to upfront.

3) Your ticket and instructions on the lottery website are indeed a contract &you agreed to the terms.....just like when you get that ticket & leave your car at Camden Yard......you agreed that the Orioles wouldn't be liable for your hubcaps.
Read the fine print on the back, the valet 'will do the best they can', but you will NOT win suit for a new car.

Some times I think we forget that not only is that lottery regulated by the laws of the different states that it's played in but you do agree to the terms of a contract, after you buy a ticket and once you attempt to 'claim' a prize you'll see how 'legal' those 'terms' you agreed are.

What if the lottery said "well, it LOOKS like you won but we'll see if your 'claim' holds up in court" a contract has consideration and acceptance on both parties, folks.

So the short answer is YES, it will hold up in court, John.

(I'll tell you over and over,John that state school in College Park provided me if a great education:goofy:, I love Maryland :biggrin:)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
In Indiana, by signing the ticket you are agreeing to have interviews with media and are giving up the right to be anonymous.

As mentioned in my above post, the 'contract' that you agree to varies by state, so you don't necessarily have any right to be anonymous, to GIVE up.

I'm not saying I'd want my name blasted either but many states feel it is important the "show" in public that the lottery is real and the process is not about "secret" winners and the public has a right to "see' the results.

Just like you may "want" your divorce proceedings to be 'private' or your robbery 'trial' on the low.....but PUBLIC trials are the law of the land, hell they might even bring in cameras and draw pictures of you.

You want to file bankruptcy, a public record is PART of the agreement.

Don't like the agreement in that state? don't get divorced or play the lottery, unless you move to Maryland or Kansas where you can stay anonymous under the 'legal' agreement set forth in those states.

Some times I really think we forget, how important the jurisdiction we call home is to our lives.
The state decides most of the 'rules' we have to live by.....try crossing the border between Ca & Az with drugs or visit New York from Vermont with your guns and you'll see going state to state is like entering a different country and that's the way our system was designed.

That is exactly, the system the founders were going for.... strong local governments, backed by a weaker central government (this one we're having trouble with today, but that's another story)

Anyway my point was, there is nothing wrong with requiring stipulations in a contract.

Isn't that the nature of contract law?......I'll do this in exchange you'll agree to do that.

(I think that's how the phrase, it's cheaper(and less public) to keep her, came about ;))

Last edited:
Back