I'll Have a Health Plan with that Burrito, Please

It will be.

Selling on the exchange is a dead end IMO. Should be plenty of opportunity off exchange and a lot less red tape.

For starters, no 21 page applications . . .

I think you have to follow the money. If a family of four, making $90,000 gets a subsidy, and that family must pay up to 9.5% of their income on insurance, that means the family must pay up to $8550.

The IRS just told us the average family premium will be $20,000 in 2016, which is equivalent to $16,500 in 2014 (assuming 10% rate increases in 2015 and 2016).

That means the premium subsidy is $7950 for this family of 4 making $90,000. That's a lot of money.

Some families making $90,000 will say no to HMO/ACO-narrow network-restricted pharmacy plans. Some won't.

Most families making $50,000 will take the subsidy. Their 9.5% of the premium is $4750, meaning the subsidy is $11,750, based on those national averages.

So, (unless things change when the upcoming recession/depression comes after these realities are published to the American people), then a good number of middle-class and lower-income people will buy off the exchange.

Just curious...I wonder if buying outside of the Exchange will have to be during an Open Enrollment (not including qualified events)?

Yes, Because they don't want people using the BCBS hotline phone in the ambulance. (adverse selection). Maybe groupon will come out with something?

I think you have to follow the money. If a family of four, making $90,000 gets a subsidy, and that family must pay up to 9.5% of their income on insurance, that means the family must pay up to $8550.

The IRS just told us the average family premium will be $20,000 in 2016, which is equivalent to $16,500 in 2014 (assuming 10% rate increases in 2015 and 2016).

That means the premium subsidy is $7950 for this family of 4 making $90,000. That's a lot of money.

Some families making $90,000 will say no to HMO/ACO-narrow network-restricted pharmacy plans. Some won't.

Most families making $50,000 will take the subsidy. Their 9.5% of the premium is $4750, meaning the subsidy is $11,750, based on those national averages.

So, (unless things change when the upcoming recession/depression comes after these realities are published to the American people), then a good number of middle-class and lower-income people will buy off the exchange.

That is a TON of money going to subsidies. If you take the average US salary, I can only imagine that 60% of the population is going to qualify for a massive subsidy. How on God's green earth are we going to be able to afford that as a country?

That is a TON of money going to subsidies. If you take the average US salary, I can only imagine that 60% of the population is going to qualify for a massive subsidy. How on God's green earth are we going to be able to afford that as a country?

Well, if you look at it pragmatically, there is POTENTIALLY a lot of money for exchange purchases, but I still have serious doubts it will materialze.

The IRS is doing their best to make it difficult for people to qualify for subsidies and how many people will have the data to complete the 21 pg application?

I don't think 57 exchanges will be in place by January.

I don't think billions of dollars will be available to fund the subsidies.

I don't think the carriers will be reimbursed for the subsidies in a timely fashion.

I don't think there will be as many carriers and options on the exchanges as billed.

I DO think there are going to be a LOT more people than expected that will TRY to buy a policy on the exchange.

I DO think Alibamacare will hit the iceberg late 2013 or early 2014

To whom it may concern at NAHU,

[FONT=times new roman,new york,times,serif]Thank you for fighting for the role of the agent. But as I read about how each state is handling the marketing partnerships with the exchanges (CA for example), each of them are bypassing the role of agents specifically, and instead focusing on navigators, CAC's, enrollment assisters, retail outlets like WalMart, etc. We realize we will be part of the exchanges, but we are in the midst of being "out-marketed" with billions that will be spent by HHS and the state grants.
[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,new york,times,serif]I would encourage and hope that NAHU will be implementing a educational campaign in all states, notifying citizens in each, that an educated, licensed and insured agent is ALSO available to assist you with ON/OFF exchange plans[/FONT]
[FONT=times new roman,new york,times,serif]Do you have any plans to do an marketing/advertising campaign to let everyone know that we are not going away?[/FONT]

The response from NAHU basically stated that they are leveraging "letters to editors" and "Op-eds" and the like. They have a number of initiatives in the works, and will forward my email internally to others.

Well, if you look at it pragmatically, there is POTENTIALLY a lot of money for exchange purchases, but I still have serious doubts it will materialze.

The IRS is doing their best to make it difficult for people to qualify for subsidies and how many people will have the data to complete the 21 pg application?

I don't think 57 exchanges will be in place by January.

I don't think billions of dollars will be available to fund the subsidies.

I don't think the carriers will be reimbursed for the subsidies in a timely fashion.

I don't think there will be as many carriers and options on the exchanges as billed.

I DO think there are going to be a LOT more people than expected that will TRY to buy a policy on the exchange.

I DO think Alibamacare will hit the iceberg late 2013 or early 2014

That was an excellent recap, Somarco. Yes, I think you are correct on every issue. This roller coaster will have so many peaks & dips, twists & turns that it's unlikely it will materialize in the manner proposed. When businesses and families see the real products and real prices, a strong backlash will begin. Families can't afford this - neither can the govt.

I think your last couple of items were especially crucial to our careers. I expect a lot of people to buy from the exchange, however, there are going to be so many more "lookie-lous". We will need to focus on the hot prospects, because there won't be enough time to spend with undecideds.

I expect a lot of people to buy from the exchange, however, there are going to be so many more "lookie-lous". We will need to focus on the hot prospects, because there won't be enough time to spend with undecideds.

think I said something about only focusing on families cause the single young-ens will be a time drain

Back