I'll Have a Health Plan with that Burrito, Please

I can't imagine that navigators are going to be able to get the 21-page application filled out correctly from the people in Oakland, Compton, or Watts anyway. The types of people who are going to be tough to enroll aren't exactly the type of people to keep accurate tax records, or are often willing to give up their SS#, phone #, and home address.

Having agents or navigators won't solve that problem. Same with those who don't speak English.

You're right. And there will be many more who don't want to complete that 21 page app, like those who owe back taxes, owe child support, are running from the law, haven't filed tax returns for a while... How they expect people in Oakland, Compton or Watts to apply for a subsidy is beyond me. Oh, maybe they just go onto Medicaid.

You're right. And there will be many more who don't want to complete that 21 page app, like those who owe back taxes, owe child support, are running from the law, haven't filed tax returns for a while... How they expect people in Oakland, Compton or Watts to apply for a subsidy is beyond me. Oh, maybe they just go onto Medicaid.

I expect heavy Navigator activity in the MediCal (CA Medicaid) market. They will be very useful there (as they are now) and will get their grants plus their $58 per enrollment. Agents get $0 for Medicaid and CHIP enrollments.

From CA HBEX I was told that agents can have a paying relationship with navigators and can even hire them. I am working on some ideas for this.

Will an Exchange health insurance purchase process be a single session, or will it likely be a 2 (or more) step process?

I'm having a hard time believing that a consumer will be able to sit down at a computer, fill out the subsidy application and get an instant authorization for $xxx.xx per month and proceed to apply for a Catastrophic, Bronze, Silver, etc. plan.

Won't the treasury department computer need to go through a litany of internal searches to ascertain the amount Mr. Doe will qualify for? I envision it being more like a background check that takes at least 24 hours to complete. If a consumer enters his/her 2012 income and it's off by a few dollars, the process would grind to a halt until it's accurately entered.

No matter what, I don't see people purchasing health insurance at a Burrito place, Walmart, or any place that usually only visit for a short amount of time. No privacy at these kinds of places either.
-ac

One issue that I recall from last year has to do with direct benefit assisters needing to be appointed with an enrollment entity. Only the health carriers are the enrollment entities so it would follow that either the retailer would have to use agents, hire or license employee agents, or retain navigators to assist with exchange enrollments.

One issue that I recall from last year has to do with direct benefit assisters needing to be appointed with an enrollment entity. Only the health carriers are the enrollment entities so it would follow that either the retailer would have to use agents, hire or license employee agents, or retain navigators to assist with exchange enrollments.

According to the article that you referenced earlier in this thread, each state is deciding how much training is required for the Benefit-Assisters and Navigator guides. Some states will allow enrollment assistance from newly released prisoners to help them reintegrate into society. While other states will demand that all enrollment assisters have a full insurance license with E&O coverage. Some states will compensate immediately, while others will give out promissory notes and I.O.U.s.

Ref: For insurance exchanges, states need ‘navigators’ — and hiring them is a huge task - The Washington Post

P.S. An interesting and somewhat entertaining radio talk show conversation about what America is in for when the ObamaCare price hikes and tax-penalties arrive in less than a year. Some of the figures aren't accurate, but the spirit is spot on.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2013/02/05/obamacare_fines_fees_and_expenses_explained

HAAAY..is this forum run by the Democratic Party? Why won't the Rush Limbaugh link keep it's proper syntax?
-ac

Last edited:
Navigators can "facilitate in the enrollment of...." plans. Just what does "facilitate" mean? States will likely have to define it. I know I posted a while back that navigators cannot be compensated "per application."

Ohio is trying to define their role: Ohio House Clears Rules for Health 'Navigators' and are making it clear that they cannot sell or solicit and sale of health insurance.

Navigators can "facilitate in the enrollment of...." plans. Just what does "facilitate" mean? States will likely have to define it. I know I posted a while back that navigators cannot be compensated "per application."

Ohio is trying to define their role: Ohio House Clears Rules for Health 'Navigators' and are making it clear that they cannot sell or solicit and sale of health insurance.

I can only speak for CA, but in CA Navigators will be paid $58 per enrolled Exchange application. It was approved last summer out here.

The problem with this is that there will likely be 50 differing versions of PPACA implemented just to add to the confusion.

Back