I'm 53 and Wanting to Start in the Insurance Biz

Really appreciate these thoughts. like the person who is 53 I am 56 and went with a captive as a sales manager on 2012. I had a 20 year background in financial sales management. After one year of working as a SM I stepped down, just didn't feel I would ever make the living I want. In my company they give each career an agency. Mine has had 4 reps in two years so that has been a waste, don't even bother with it but to say hello. I have been networking within my sphere of influence and done well. I have also purchased exclusive leads through Parrasol and Datalot which has been ok. From this form I am purchasing FE Mailings from Chris at Lead Connection today. I to am struggling with the decision to stay captive or go out on my own. Seems to me that the only thing I get from my employer is part of my health ins. paid. I would appreciate any comments as well. If I did go independent who would you recommend? Thanks again. I am real glad I found this forum!!

Based on your thread title, you seem to be hung up on age.. It doesn't matter how old you are..It is said that Ben Feldman, one of the greatest ever insurance agents sold more insurance after he was 65 than he did prior to his 65th birthday.

Well ya see poor ole Ben didn't have Mah to consult with or he would have "Got This" a whole lot quicker.

Find a mentor...on the board or in your town...go independent. You have a little cash on hand? Open a small office, get a company name, logo, biz cards....join every free organization you can. Decide what your specialty will be. Rural area? I would sell med supps. City? I'd sell term life and P and C.

Based on your thread title, you seem to be hung up on age.. It doesn't matter how old you are..It is said that Ben Feldman, one of the greatest ever insurance agents sold more insurance after he was 65 than he did prior to his 65th birthday.

That's because he had leads coming in from the last 30 yrs prior.

The secret to any SALES business is LEADS....quality LEADS. If you can get quality leads and have selling talent...then you can make $.

Figure out how to get leads...the rest will take care of itself.

Back