IMO release without any written policies?

bradyn0

Hello all. For life ins, I just got contracted to a few carriers for an IMO, but wish to switch to another IMO. I have not written any policies or business at all. If I can only self-release, am I still required to the typical 6 months of no business?

Hello all. For life ins, I just got contracted to a few carriers for an IMO, but wish to switch to another IMO. I have not written any policies or business at all. If I can only self-release, am I still required to the typical 6 months of no business?
You are never trapped. There are too many good FE companies. Just ask for a release. If they yank you around just contact each company separately and cancel your agent number with them.
Contract with different (usually better) companies through the new IMO and start selling. After 6-months, if you want any of the old companies back you can pick them up through the new IMO.
Make sure you educate yourself before Contracting with the new IMO so you don’t make more mistakes.
Read the content on the FexContracting.com website. That has kept thousands of agents to avoid mistakes no matter where they go. Print out the beginning commission levels and compare to where you are going. At those levels there is plenty of commission for the Upline to train you, offer excellent lead programs and provide FexTools or similar underwriting and quoting software.
As they say in carpenter school, measure twice, cut once.

Last edited:

Which Carriers?

just 3 here but they are American Amicable, F&G Life, and Foresters
Those are unnecessary companies in most states. Not horrible but not crucial either. New York has way less selection of companies than most states though.

The way it works with most companies is the date they assign you an agent number is your start date. You can move 6-months after that date if you haven’t written any biz. If you write any biz it re-starts your 6-months.
If your Upline will give you a release (all good Upline will but the bad ones won’t) then you can move those companies tomorrow.
But with any company you haven’t contracted with, you can start tomorrow with no waiting.

SBLI, Trans and Columbian are all in New York. That would get you going. SBLI alone will be more usable than any of the others you had.

Back