Impossible to get appointments!

Iwillmakeit

Hey guys,
After being captive and making very little for 4 years in New York I decided to go on my own, I incorporated, got a 1 Million E&O, did all my taxes, got my agency BR PnC and LB life, and Im also self licensed on Life and PnC as broker and agent, designed an incredible website and got a nice small office (month to month).... But now the problem...., NOT ONE single company will give me an appointment, they ask me for low stupid numbers like 50k a year or 75k.... thats if they even talk to me, most don't answer or send a "unfortun.... blah blah blah" auto answer... I been "Open" for 2 and a half months now....
I tried Wholesalers like Superior access which I cancel on the first month, not only their commisions is extremely low but they charge a membership and they take days to give you a quote and their comparing tool is garbage, in NY bif you take longer then 2-3 hrs the costumer is long gone... I lost about 20 costumers like that until I decided to say no more.
I also try talking to other companies but ALL of them want a 2 year non-compete where if I leave the company I cant do anything insurance related unless I become captive basically....but I own my book of business which it will obv be gone by the time u can come back... and again you wont be able to get appointments cause there is nothing to show...
At this point I'm not only starting to panic cause I have 3 kids and a lot of bills (I have another year saved up, but not looking to lose my life savings) and I really can't find a solution...... I had it all planned out but this, I was expecting rejection but not from every single company out there.... I really don't know what to do at this point, any help or advise will be incredibly welcome.

What companies are you trying to get contracted with? I think you’re going about it the wrong way but give us a little bit more specifics and somebody here can help.

I tried companies like progressive, travelers, Safeco, Liberty mutual, farmers, hanover, nationwide, chubb and a few more of the known ones, once those companies didn't answer or rejected me I grabbed the NY registered companies and I started applying to all of them like erie, nycm, foremost, kemper etc
And Im sure I am going the wrong way because I'm getting nowhere, I was always captive and never had to deal with other companies. I'm very good at sales but I can't even start showing that lol.
I have over 750k of premium that can be relocated too from costumers that want to go where I go.

This year may have just been a bad timing decision. Allstate is going through a huge layoff, Nationwide just cut all of their captives loose to become independents, all companies are affected by Covid shutdowns. Try :https://www.trustedchoice.com/agent/ny/new-york/
or:BIGINY
You might have to join a consolidator until you have some numbers to back up your success.

Sorry, I was joking about that, but I do think that he should post this in the P&C forum.

Caveat, not an insurance agent.

I don't see a need for you to be sorry about the post. Just perception training for a newcomer to the insurance field.

Latest posts

Back