Indexed Annuity Income Riders: Accumulation Value Vs. Income Value

Looking to purchase FIA.

Either
a) Athene Ascent pro 10 Bonus select
a) Allianz 222

age 41 y/0
One time premium usd100k.

No plan to take money out until 55 years old.

which one would be a better option?

Both of these are solid contracts and the 222 has been my "go-to" since Allianz cut the 360's bonus in half. Some would tell you that in general, you're too young you the 222, mainly because its not very "walk-away" friendly. Keep in mind, the 222 lets you build an income account that doubles as a death benefit (5 year payout) and is substantially larger than the 10-year accumulation value. So 5-10 years goes by and there's a bigger better FIA that you'd like use for lifetime income over the 222. Now you have to decide if its worth sacrificing that huge income/death benefit account to move the money.

In my opinion, the main weakness of the 222 is the lack of "real money" accumulation. This is normal bc its designed for increasing lifetime income and death benefit.

If you plan on retiring at 55 the 222 makes more sense. If you wait till 65, I'd focus on an accumulation play. Seeing above 6% average per year (backcasts) is getting more and more common these days. Just use strategy with a good spread or participation rate on a multi-asset, volatility controlled index.

Hope this helps!

Back