Inquiring Agents want to know ... FE Carriers and Financial Strength

I get it, but there's a first time for everything.
@DonP just pointed out, the margins are usually too low for a lawyer to even consider it.

My E &O has a $0 retention (deductible) for life & health, but $5k for annuities and/or P & C. Most of my FE policies are $10,000 & less, so if a case were to arise that E&O wouldn’t cover, it wouldn’t be that much different from my portion on a P&C claim.

(I knew it already, but just noticed again that my NAPA E&O is actually a certificate, not a policy. It also says that my coverage is with a non-admitted carrier. I hope I never need to use it!:err:)

Last edited:
Maybe they'd go Erin Brockovich on you and knock on all of your client's next-door neighbors to see if you sold them policies from this theoretical insolvent company too...even throw a barbeque for them.

Haha!
Hmmm...good point. The lawsuit in “The Rainmaker” was against a debit company, wasn’t it?:elvis: (The lawsuit wasn’t about life insurance, though. It was about a cancer policy. @rousemark , you oughtta think about that!;))

Most of my FE policies are $10,000 & less, so if a case were to arise that E&O wouldn’t cover, it wouldn’t be that much different from my portion on a P&C claim.

I guess I am wondering what happens if a carrier fails due to malfeasance (embezzlement, fraud) and the agent has 100's of policies with that carrier.

I guess I don't really know exactly what E&O is for then when it comes to FE, and yet the majority of FE carriers require it, even if the agent is only appointed for FE.

Imagine agents who have a book of business with Colorado Bankers. Is this not going to be an issue for them as well? Maybe not.

Maybe they'd go Erin Brockovich on you and knock on all of your client's next-door neighbors to see if you sold them policies from this theoretical insolvent company too...even throw a barbeque for them.

Haha!

Sue me for what ?Everything in the policy guaranteed form the pitiful cash values to the tiny death benefit .The contract will be fulfilled

I guess I am wondering what happens if a carrier fails due to malfeasance (embezzlement, fraud) and the agent has 100's of policies with that carrier.

I guess I don't really know exactly what E&O is for then when it comes to FE, and yet the majority of FE carriers require it, even if the agent is only appointed for FE.

Imagine agents who have a book of business with Colorado Bankers. Is this not going to be an issue for them as well? Maybe not.

I have a life policy 33 yrs old . The policy was sold at least 3 times . The policy has performed just as the contract said . Conseco owned at one time and I know they had big financial issues.

Back