Insurance license-petty theft charge

Hello all. Im in Florida and I recently got hired on with a big insurance company. I am currently unlicensed. In a few months the company will be using Kaplan to get us license for P&C. 13 years ago I was with an ex gf in a store she stole some things without me knowing and I got a petty theft charge because of it. Again this was in 2010 13 years ago. I went into a deferment, paid a small fine to the store and took a theft class. Will this keep me from being licensed?

You should have done it here in S.F. It's encouraged over here.

Sorry man you misunderstood, maybe I wasn't clear on that. What I meant was the background that the company I work for did went 10 years into the past. Does that make more sense?

The qualifications of an insurance agent include the ability to think and analyze problems. I question whether you have that ability. If you did have it you would have thought to go to the insurance department's website where you would have read the easily found information about applicants with criminal histories.

Applicants with Criminal Histories | Licensing| Insurance Agent and Agency Services | MyFloridaCFO

Information which leads to a reasonable conclusion that a 13 year old petty theft conviction is not likely to prevent you from getting a license.

Study up. Read the statutes. Call the licensing division and lay it out for them.

The qualifications of an insurance agent include the ability to think and analyze problems. I question whether you have that ability. If you did have it you would have thought to go to the insurance department's website where you would have read the easily found information about applicants with criminal histories.

Applicants with Criminal Histories | Licensing| Insurance Agent and Agency Services | MyFloridaCFO

Information which leads to a reasonable conclusion that a 13 year old petty theft conviction is not likely to prevent you from getting a license.

Study up. Read the statutes. Call the licensing division and lay it out for them.

I appreciate you pointing that out. I have actually gone to that page before and read that. But the verbiage and legal jargon on that page still left me in doubts. Particularly how stringent they seem to be on crimes that go against morals and breach of trust. Im doing my best but im not a lawyer my friend. Up until this point in my life this has also not been an issue for me. But thanks for your candor anyway

When it comes time to do the licensing im going to bring it up, i was never not going to.
It happened 13 yrs ago... chances are no one will find it UNLESS you bring it up. The state will go back to when you were born...

Its a petty charge...I wouldn't be too concerned. HOWEVER, your background check will take longer than most.

It happened 13 yrs ago... chances are no one will find it UNLESS you bring it up. The state will go back to when you were born...

Its a petty charge...I wouldn't be too concerned. HOWEVER, your background check will take longer than most.

Thanks for the reply man. I have to say though you just said there the state is going to go back until I was born. So how wouldn't they find it? I should also say I would be getting licensed in every state I believe

Thanks for the reply man. I have to say though you just said there the state is going to go back until I was born. So how wouldn't they find it? I should also say I would be getting licensed in every state I believe
Yeah Just come clean with it... You didn't rob a bank...you didn't steal some Seniors SS Check. Petty theft is considered a Non-Financial Crime.

Just get all the paperwork, your probation papers, your satisfaction of clearance (what-ever restitution you had to pay if any), ALL from the state where this happened, etc. You'll have to show them to the state when you apply ---- >MOVE FORWARD !

Yeah Just come clean with it... You didn't rob a bank...you didn't steal some Seniors SS Check. Petty theft is considered a Non-Financial Crime.

Just get all the paperwork, your probation papers, your satisfaction of clearance (what-ever restitution you had to pay if any), ALL from the state where this happened, etc. You'll have to show them to the state when you apply ---- >MOVE FORWARD !

Thanks for the advice. Yeah no jail time. No probation. Wasnt even arrested. Just did a deferment program through the court which was paying a small fine and taking an "anti" theft class.
Yes I agree it was minor and it was years ago, all the verbiage of morality and breach of trust crimes is what has me concerned regardless of how small and long ago. But ill go with that and hopefully all goes well.

Hello all. Im in Florida and I recently got hired on with a big insurance company. I am currently unlicensed. In a few months the company will be using Kaplan to get us license for P&C. 13 years ago I was with an ex gf in a store she stole some things without me knowing and I got a petty theft charge because of it. Again this was in 2010 13 years ago. I went into a deferment, paid a small fine to the store and took a theft class. Will this keep me from being licensed?

One way they would never know is if you qualify for expungement of record.
[EXTERNAL LINK] - Certificate of Eligibility Instructions

Back