Interesting article on med sup business

what are senior private exchanges?

Is an automated underwriting system a good thing or a bad thing from an independent agent perspective?

Caveat, I am not an agent.

Given all the recent contention here, this is the thing that most struck me in the article.

Just looking at the generational demographics, the opportunity in the Med Supp space will continue.
Under heading, The Future.

What is the difference between a captive agent and an in-house salaried call center agent?

Something that really blows in the Med Sup biz is when you have built up a big block of Med Sups in a state and then that state goes to a Birthday rule and doesn't require the carriers to pay the agents more than the one time $25 fee. Your entire renewal base goes poof fast when that happens. Everyone calling for your help and you are converting them from $250 renewals to a $25 token.
We are just about to find out in Kentucky. Theirs goes into effect January 1st.

Something that really blows in the Med Sup biz is when you have built up a big block of Med Sups in a state and then that state goes to a Birthday rule and doesn't require the carriers to pay the agents more than the one time $25 fee. Your entire renewal base goes poof fast when that happens. Everyone calling for your help and you are converting them from $250 renewals to a $25 token.
We are just about to find out in Kentucky. Theirs goes into effect January 1st.
Ouch

Interesting 6 new states added the birthday rule since 2022 . Only 8 have . Will more and more states add this ? More importantly of those 8 states how many pay full comp ? I recall reading it’s treated like Gi comp in many states . What prevents customers from shopping this ? And more importantly if it pays ok to regularly comp that means you got to be shopping your client yearly are somebody will poach your business .

Back