Internet Health Insurance Leads 2009 Ratings...

There is no mystery. Virtually all top tier lead companies sell to each other. They use your license number or other identifier supposedly encrypted so that when lead company A sells to lead company B - both companies do not sell you the same lead (then you might actually figure it out).

You fill in the blanks but I know this is common practice with the "big boys" - some will deny it, others like InsureMe are at least honest about their "affiliate" relationships.

It is one thing to resell leads, it is another to lie about it.

I can not speak for Most Choice - Mike can chime in on that. I would assume Most Choice does not do that based on Mike's previous statements.

Sorry for the delay on this. I've been largely out this last week for the Holiday. I'm back, so it's time to "chime in."

You are correct, we are not a member of the " lead cartel." We generate 80+ percent of our leads ourselves in-house and don't buy leads from any lead generator that won't sell them to us exclusively. Further, when we do buy a lead from another lead generator they must generate the lead the same way we do - search only with no affiliate program. We also don't sell any of our leads to other lead generators. Therefore, we don't have to deal with all the "lead swapping" problems.

Don't get me wrong though. I've got nothing against making money. I just have to make sure it does not cost me money in the end. I would sell to another vendor if they would (could) meet my price on an exclusive lead AND could prove to me that they didn't oversell the lead. Don't worry, I doubt that's going to happen any time soon! This is because there is another big problem with the way a lot of lead swapping is being done.

Quite frankly, I don't understand why they use just the agent's license number to try to stop duplicate selling. It's a losing game. It just won't work reliably because they still have the problem of leads getting mislabeled. You see, if they wanted to do it right they need to "flag" at the lead level as well as the agent level. I know this has been done before using a compound key of phone number and last name to label the lead. Ironically, this is the way many lead generators make sure that they aren't selling each other the same lead. However, to make that work, they need to know every lead that agent has bought from every source. That only works if they don't sell leads into an affiliate program that in turn might sell the lead to another lead member that is not a member of the "lead cartel." Otherwise, the same lead might get sold to an agent from a vendor that is not sharing the necessary information to complete the safety checks. Also, they have to make certain they never recycle any leads. Otherwise, they have to flag at the lead level throughout all time. That's a lot of heavy duty database sharing! It's just not practical on a large scale. Recycled leads is another problem in this business.

How many times have you gotten a lead that told you: "I filled that out a month ago." If you ever hear that, call your lead company and ask them to put it in writing that none of your leads are recycled. In fact, just ask them to put it in writing anyway!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I just don't get it. Sharing a lead with other agents. Why would anyone want to share a lead with other agents and actually pay money to share the lead? I saw a lead company that says on their website that up to 8 agents will get the same lead, but most of the time, it would be but 2 or 3 other agents. WOW!!

It would be like going on a date with a hot blond and you have to go on this date with 7 other guys also. At the end of the date, she picks the best guy to go on another date with.

First of all, I doubt that if they sell the lead up to 8 times it's averaging 2 or 3. I'd say more like 5 or 6.

Bad news: It might not be just 7 other guys, it might be more like 15. It's not uncommon for one of those other 7 to be another lead generator that in turn sells the lead into an affiliate program and it winds up at yet another lead generator that in turn sells it to another 8. But wait, it get's worse. Some lead generators will recycle their leads every 90 days or so, selling it yet again and the cycle repeats. We have heard of leads from some of the members of the "lead cartel" being sold more than 20 times!

Last edited:
You have sites like this where you can not only bid on traffic, but see who else is:

Brokers Web - Insurance Broker Services

Click PPC Advertising then Bid Tracker at the lower right. Select individual and family then choose your state.

That's healthinsurancefinders.com. Their traffic used to be real good and may still be. It's just very expensive. We don't sell our leads enough times to afford it. At $10+ a click for individual health the average lead service could easily have to sell a lead 8 times to yield positive. That's twice our max and 4 times our average times sold.

They still have the #2 spot for "health insurance" in google organic search and that used to be where the majority of their traffic originates from and may still be. I know they now have an affiiliate program and that muddied up the water a bit. I believe we still try to bid on the products that use primarily their organic search traffic only but it's a tough one. We have largely dropped them as a traffic source. I just checked my database and we only got 3 leads today from them and all 3 are for group health, putting them into the "virtually non-existent" category for us.

They must be raking in the money though! Good for them.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Can anyone bid on those? Quotesauction bidding 95 cents for Ohio leads!

Sure. Set up an account. Let me know how it works out!;)

Last edited:
You won't get many leads from Brokers Web for 95 cents. Look who is bidding on the traffic - it is the top lead companies. You do not have deep enough pockets (individual agent) to compete against a lead company that can pay $20 to $30 a lead , since they sell it 9 times (or more).

Affiliate traffic in my opinion (since it is per click) is horrible and converts bad like most affiliate traffic. We all know how bad affiliate leads are - now just imagine affiliate "clicks".

When I was a very large spender with them my cost per lead was seldom under $20, and this includes bad phone #'s, no filters, etc., etc.,

You won't get many leads from Brokers Web for 95 cents. Look who is bidding on the traffic - it is the top lead companies. You do not have deep enough pockets (individual agent) to compete against a lead company that can pay $20 to $30 a lead , since they sell it 9 times (or more).

Affiliate traffic in my opinion (since it is per click) is horrible and converts bad like most affiliate traffic. We all know how bad affiliate leads are - now just imagine affiliate "clicks".

When I was a very large spender with them my cost per lead was seldom under $20, and this includes bad phone #'s, no filters, etc., etc.,

Ditto.

That's healthinsurancefinders.com. Their traffic used to be real good and may still be. It's just very expensive. We don't sell our leads enough times to afford it. At $10+ a click for individual health

Traffic is still very good. In fact, last month was our highest volume month to date with over 85,000 consumers being redirected to our advertisers. Our average cost-per-click is actually under $4 for individual and family health insurance. Only California is over $10, and that is for the #1 spot.

They still have the #2 spot for "health insurance" in google organic search and that used to be where the majority of their traffic originates from and may still be. I know they now have an affiiliate program and that muddied up the water a bit. I believe we still try to bid on the products that use primarily their organic search traffic only but it's a tough one. We have largely dropped them as a traffic source. I just checked my database and we only got 3 leads today from them and all 3 are for group health, putting them into the "virtually non-existent" category for us.

Less than 20% of our total traffic volume comes from our affiliate network. We closely monitor the quality of the traffic from our affiliate network by analyzing how that traffic converts for our advertisers. We give advertisers the option of not displaying their ads on affiliate sites, but I can assure you that the traffic quality is on par with the organic search traffic.

Mike, I think the drop in conversions you experienced was primarily due to the temporary drop in our organic rankings earlier this year. The fact that you received only 3 leads from us yesterday is pretty impressive considering that you were only advertising under group health insurance in a few states and were only charged for 4 clicks.

You won't get many leads from Brokers Web for 95 cents.

This is true with any PPC traffic of good quality, including Google, Yahoo and MSN. This isbecause your ad listing will be placed in a lower page position that won't get much visibility.

You do not have deep enough pockets (individual agent) to compete against a lead company that can pay $20 to $30 a lead , since they sell it 9 times (or more).

Again, this is true, but only partially. Competing against the lead companies is a challenge on any PPC search engine. But we have plenty of agents advertising with us that are receiving leads at far, far less than $20. But, let's assume for a minute that it is $20 per lead. You must also consider the value of a web-based lead that is generated from your own website. Even if you closed only 10% of your personal and exclusive web-based leads, your cost for that piece of business is $200, which will still provide you with a very acceptable ROI when you consider the average value of a piece of business. It just takes the agent longer to get their return, but it still makes sense if you can get a 200 to 300% return on an investment over an 18 month period.

This is not a problem with us because we monitor and control the quality of our affiliate traffic and it is a very small percentage of our total traffic volume due to the high volume of traffic we receive from our organic rankings. Will this be the case with GoQuoteMe.com as well, which also has an affiliate program? Without the organic rankings to a vertical PPC directory, the majority of the traffic will come from affiliate sites, but the quality can still be good if monitored properly. SureHits does pretty good on traffic quality, and virtually all of their traffic comes from affiliate sites.

Todd Faucher
EVP - HealthCare.com, Inc
Founder - HealthInsuranceFinders.com and BrokersWeb

Yes, you are correct, "in most states". Those states that pay a lower broker commission are far less expensive on a CPC in our directory.
For example, the average CPC in California this month is $6.57. In NY it is $1.61.

Todd Faucher

Back