Is my auto insurance guy lying to me?

JeanL

I'm 18 yr old and took my TX driver defensive driving and other schooling online. I passed. I also took the TX Impact driving course/shocking the student with drunk/driving stories. I passed. I took my real driver test in person and passed. This was 10 weeks ago. I received my hard copy driver license. I contacted State Farm for auto insurance. They saw all my paperwork/docs and were very pleased and quoted me $930 every 6 mo. I paid in full for the first 6 months -- expiring Feb 28, 2023. Yesterday I rec'd an 'invoice' for another $94. I called the agent, assistant, the agent, and the corporate office. My agent is 'saying' that my TX Impact is 'expired'. Of course they expire in 90 days -- everyone knows that. I presented my docs w/in the 90 time frame. Everyone was satisfied. I've been driving for about 9 weeks. No problems or tickets or anything. My agent says I have to 'take the course again' (whaaaaat??? I just took it 12 weeks ago). It's 34 hours long. Is he lying to me? That I have to re-take it again? And that it's 34 hours long? OR is he trying to extract more money from me? I thought the rates were about 1/2 of what everyone else was quoting me. I'm going to open up a 'case' with the TX state insurance agency and report him tomorrow. Any thoughts?

It's 34 hours long.

You're going to have to clarify that.

According to the following website it's a free one hour or two hour video and then you get your certificate.

Impact Texas Drivers Program | ITTD and ITYD Courses (texasdrivingschool.com)

Another site explains it:

Impact Texas Adult Drivers

According to State Farm's website there are two discounts available in Texas that relate to driver training:

Defensive Driving Course and Driver Training. It says nothing about how these discounts are related to ITTD and IDYD.

Car Insurance Discounts Texas | State Farm®

Seems to me that there is enough confusion here so that it's no surprise that agent and first time insurance buyer didn't have a meeting of the minds.

Insurance rates are outrageous, even for a senior driver like me. They are horrible for a young driver.

I doubt that a complaint to the Insurance Department is going to do any good.

I may be retired from the insurance industry but, as an insurance consumer, I have no love for it. I'm with State Farm now, out of necessity because my last couple of insurance companies had tremendous rate increases

You might be stuck until you can shop for your Feb renewal.

Meantime, consider the Drive Safe and Save program. Might get you additional discounts for renewal.

Also consider getting a renter's policy with State Farm for a multi-policy discount.

Yes, he actually said it was 34 hours. I knew he was wrong/lying about that. Made me wonder if he also was lying about having to take it again. I.e, TWO LIES. Yes, I agree, probably in Feb 2023, it will be good to re-negotiate with someone else. I won't pay the new 'invoice' for $94. Thanks the advice.

Yes, he actually said it was 34 hours. I knew he was wrong/lying about that. Made me wonder if he also was lying about having to take it again. I.e, TWO LIES.

I wouldn't attribute any of this to lies or anything malicious. More likely lack of knowledge. There are auto and homeowners agents out there that just about know the names of the policies they sell.

State Farm agents are employees who do what the company nabobs tell them to without much explanation and certainly without having any sayso in the matter.

I won't pay the new 'invoice' for $94.

That's not advisable. It will get you cancelled for non-payment and you'll be looking for new insurance sooner than Feb with the added stigma of having been cancelled. You'll end up paying a lot more elsewhere, than the $94.

If you can't get the $94 rolled back, I recommend paying it and chalking it up to experience.

Reported the agent to State Farm Corporate online and in a mailed letter. Also reported agent to BBB. Also left negative feedback on Google. Turns out it looks like his 'gal' forgot to upload the documents, and they expired. So they are both lying and said I never brought them in. Unbelievable. Also reported them to the TX Dept of Insurance. Dude covering for his office gal.

Reported the agent to State Farm Corporate online and in a mailed letter. Also reported agent to BBB. Also left negative feedback on Google. Turns out it looks like his 'gal' forgot to upload the documents, and they expired. So they are both lying and said I never brought them in. Unbelievable. Also reported them to the TX Dept of Insurance. Dude covering for his office gal.

All of that over $94? The dude probably made like 3 extra dollars in commission for 'screwing' you. Should they have corrected it? Yes. Should they have lied to you? No.

However, as adjusterjack pointed out, no agent knows everything about every little bylaw of every state and insurance policy. He probably could have done more to help you, but I don't think he was trying to screw you.

Being 18 is hard, but you are getting a good rate considering your age and lack of driving history.

Also, Since no one else is going to say it, I will.

You're acting like a child. Your entire post screams entitlement. Your dad is probably the type of person who exhibited these types of behaviors in your youth. I implore you to reconsider the way that you conduct business and interact with others in a professional manner.

I wouldn't write your insurance based on the attitude you've displayed here. People make mistakes, and this is a relatively small one, yet you decide the best course of action is to be a snitch to the BBB, department of insurance, corporate and google. A real man would go give the agent a piece of his mind, and then see if the situation could be remedied behind closed doors.

You're acting like this guy fired you after 20 years and took your pension.

With this President and what he is doing to our economy, every $94 counts, dude. Unbelievable that you have so little empathy for ppl trying to make a living and keep their money in this economy. Happy to vote next Tues.

Unbelievable that you have so little empathy for ppl trying to make a living and keep their money in this economy.

This isn't a political discussion. If you want to talk about empathy, you should figure out how to have a stern adult conversation with your insurance agent instead of running him through the mud.

It could go something like this

"________, you and your employee made a mistake on my policy and you lied to cover up this lie for your employee. Now you are trying to bill me $94, an amount that I should be saving due to my discount for taking the Texas defensive driving course. I am 18 years old and 94 dollars is a lot of money to me, especially considering this economy.

It is clear to me that you have not handled this situation properly. I expect a few things from you going forward. I will no longer be LIED to, the $94 charge will be rescinded and I would like an apology. In the future I have the expectation that you will be truthful with me and treat me with respect into regards of having my business with your agency.

If this is going to be a trend going forward, let me know now so I can take my business elsewhere."

THAT is how you have an adult conversation, not by diverting to politics or doing scummy things like going to corporate, the insurance department, the BBB or google. Those are the equivalent of running to your mom because you got your feelings hurt.

You don't have to take my word for it, but if you continue to act this way, it will haunt you into adulthood until you decide you're ready to grow up

Latest posts

Back