Is There Something Non-compliant About this Marketing Piece?

wehotex

Guru
1000 Post Club
Houston, Tex
My Dad used to be a member of United Health Care. He received a letter recently that said that according to their records, he has Medicare and Medicaid (he does not) so is entitled to enroll into the United DUAL plan. This of course is the plan with the richest options in the area: free dental, free Transpo, $0 COPAYS, etc. Further down the letter it says to call the UHC # to find out if he qualifies.
I find the letter to be misleading and merely a ploy to get the unassuming reader to call in to attempt a potential sale.
Any opinions on this?

Last edited:
Does it have a CMS approval number on it?

Haha, yes it DOES!! It still seems disingenuous to me to send this to EVERYONE when the company knows that only SOME will have Medicare and Medicaid, like a bait and switch.

Last edited:
Funny, this came up. I just received this same piece in the mail on Friday. I'm wondering if I should contact CMS and report this. BTW, I'm 61, not on either, and this seems like total BS to me.

Funny, this came up. I just received this same piece in the mail on Friday. I'm wondering if I should contact CMS and report this. BTW, I'm 61, not on either, and this seems like total BS to me.

Haha! Are you enrolled with them? Ex-member? My Dad was an ex-member, so the letter made it look like they were psyching him into thinking that he left such a wonderful plan- and that he should come back. The letter covers itself by using "MAY" a lot. My dad doesn't even have LIS, much less Medicaid. I don't think that CMS really gives a crap and just let the MAs do what they want.

My Dad used to be a member of United Health Care. He received a letter recently that said that according to their records, he has Medicare and Medicaid (he does not) so is entitled to enroll into the United DUAL plan. This of course is the plan with the richest options in the area: free dental, free Transpo, $0 COPAYS, etc. Further down the letter it says to call the UHC # to find out if he qualifies.
I find the letter to be misleading and merely a ploy to get the unassuming reader to call in to attempt a potential sale.
Any opinions on this?

IMHO 100% compliant.UHC does a lot of DM which of course is all approved by CMS.Look at it this way.Whats is more likely -A. that the list they are allowed to get from the state medicaid for dual marketing has some errors or B. that UHC is intentionally bait and switching by sending these out to people who don't qualify for the plan because they don't have medicaid and because they don't have medicaid are also not eligible for any other UHC core MA plans due to the fact that they are locked out for switching in 2016.

IMHO 100% compliant.UHC does a lot of DM which of course is all approved by CMS.Look at it this way.Whats is more likely -A. that the list they are allowed to get from the state medicaid for dual marketing has some errors or B. that UHC is intentionally bait and switching by sending these out to people who don't qualify for the plan because they don't have medicaid and because they don't have medicaid are also not eligible for any other UHC core MA plans due to the fact that they are locked out for switching in 2016.

B is more likely. Why would Medicaid voluntarily provide UHC or any private MA company with lists of Medi-Medis? Is anything personal and private anymore?
I used to work at UHC. It hires and maintains some of the most unethical, incompetent management team that I ever experienced in my lifetime, just my opinion.

My question is why would they send the marketing piece to me if they are not sending it to everyone? I'm only 61. I'm not on Medicare, let alone Medicaid. I have private health coverage.

B is more likely. Why would Medicaid voluntarily provide UHC or any private MA company with lists of Medi-Medis? Is anything personal and private anymore?
I used to work at UHC. It hires and maintains some of the most unethical, incompetent management team that I ever experienced in my lifetime, just my opinion.

In Medicaid reform states like Fl. the state wants duals to enroll in a DE SNP MA or MMA plans to save money.In Fl. DE who stay with original medicare have to enroll in in one of the four MMA plans available of which UHC is one. Bottom line for the DE population it's all going to managed care to save the states money and the states can and will help provide the carriers with the info they need to facilitate the process

Back