Lead Generation, Need License?

cericthered

If I want to build a website that gives instant, online term life quotes, then sell those leads to a third party (lead broker, insurance agent, etc) do I need to have an insurance license?

Just wondering if there are any laws against providing these quotes through an automated quote engine without being licensed, then selling those leads.

Thanks!

That is an interesting idea. Licenses for lead vendors...

But in answer to your question, as long as you never speak with the lead, and the quote is generated solely based on their actions, the answer is no. To the best of my knowledge, you do not need a license in such a situation.

No you don't need to be a licensed agent to sell leads or to capture leads. You just have to sign up with the lead company as an affiliate. Try doing a search for insurance leads affiliate.

No you don't need to be a licensed agent to sell leads or to capture leads. You just have to sign up with the lead company as an affiliate. Try doing a search for insurance leads affiliate.

Mike, when I clicked your link I was warned that it might cause damage to my computer. What is your link for?

I got this warning when clicking on the link AND my virus software immediately warned me not to enter the site.

The link you requested may contain inappropriate content, or even spam or malicious code that could be downloaded to your computer without your consent, or may be a forgery or imitation of another website, designed to trick users into sharing personal or financial information.

It is a free social backlinking service. Not sure why it would do that. It is a good tool to help agents build backlinks to their site
25 Free Backlinks per day .

STOP - there might be a problem with the requested link
The link you requested has been identified by bitly as being potentially problematic. This could be because a bitly user has reported a problem, a black-list service reported a problem, because the link has been shortened more than once, or because we have detected potentially malicious content. This may be a problem because:
Some URL-shorteners re-use their links, so bitly can't guarantee the validity of this link.
Some URL-shorteners allow their links to be edited, so bitly can't tell where this link will lead you.
Spam and malware is very often propagated by exploiting these loopholes, neither of which bitly allows for.
The link you requested may contain inappropriate content, or even spam or malicious code that could be downloaded to your computer without your consent, or may be a forgery or imitation of another website, designed to trick users into sharing personal or financial information.
bitly suggests that you
Change the original link, and re-shorten with bitly
Close your browser window
Notify the sender of the URL
Or, continue at your own risk to
http://www.socialmonkee.com/index.php?af=3590
You can learn more about harmful content at StopBadware - Welcome to StopBadware
You can find out more about phishing from APWG
For more information or to report a false positive please contact [email protected]
Read more about bitly's spam and antiphishing partners here
Publish with bitly and protect your links

I got this warning when clicking on the link AND my virus software immediately warned me not to enter the site.

My Mac provides me with comprehensive faith-based virus protection so I went for it. Although it doesn't strike me as anything particularly nefarious, I don't know that I'd jump on something like this.

Back