Life Insurance policy: Taxable?

Well, since Trump doubled the standard deduction, and lowered tax brackets... it won't be a huge deal for middle income families - at least with the current tax situation.

So no, it might not be fully deductible or a 'wash', but it won't hurt them much either.

Say an IRA distribution for $20k... and at the 12% bracket = $2,400 additional tax. Not a huge deal.

Completely agree not a huge issue. I just learned the hard way. A $20k added amount to income tax return likely will only be a $2400 Fed bill, but will also bump their Provisional income by $20k & possibly cause $10k or $17k of their SS to now be taxable at 12% or more, state income taxes & in some cases make their medicare premiums go up in a year or 2 when IRS-Medicare gets around to recalculating. So, that 20k distribution could turn into an actual total of $6000-$7000 even if 12% fed bracket between fed, state, SS taxation, Medicare premium.

Still better than nothing, but LTC or hybrid would have been more ideal in hindsight in the situations I dealt with.

At least with a charitable donation over age 70, the IRA custodian can send the check directly to the charity so no 1099 gets issued at all.. Wish that were the case with Medical bills & Nursing home costs too from IRA-NQ Annuity/MEC

Thanks everybody! The scary part, both of them have been in the industry longer than I have so when both of them disagreed with me, I thought I messed up.

No, actually what's scary is the fact that there are two supposedly experienced agents that don't know what they're talking about.

Well... what? If there's something I don't know, I look it up. I know Google and Bing. :)

This is not a knowledge business anymore.

I'm divorced... so I don't have a spouse that's smarter than me (anymore).

Well... Are you sure wasn't talking about you and Trent? ;)

Sure am glad it is a word business and not a knowledge business.. :yes:

As for Google, I don't need it. I have been married for 54 years... :)

Back