Literature on the 5 Way Approach

DHK, thanks for sharing, I really like that first piece. My only problem, I have no idea how I could use it at this point to make more sales. This is my opinion only: the 5 ways approach is great for getting someone's attention verbally and then transition to where you want to go. It's not meant to be a fact finding guideline and it's not all that effective as a direct mail piece. JMO.

Full Throttle,

I know you're already leaving flyers behind... I'd just use it as a flyer and follow up by phone asking to introduce the kind of work you do. Just like you're already doing.

Then you can give the 5-ways over the phone, use a Business Priority Planning Review in person... or just about any other tool.

The problem I saw with Xrac's piece is that there's just way too many questions. It could make a decent fact-finder... even though it's too comprehensive. I wouldn't use it as a flyer or any other kind of "leave behind" piece.

You can't solve for everything all at once. If you approach a problem that's simply "too big", would it be easier for the owner to ignore the problem... or just ignore you? (Of course, Burt Meisel said "You can send me away, but the problem won't.")

You never want to be the cause of a person's pain. However, if listening/reading you is too painful, it could be easier to ignore you instead of addressing the real problem.

The "company will" is (IMO) a perfect lead-in piece to talk about a keyman policy on the owner. It lends itself to a discussion on business continuation and other matters. You can continue to build that moat wide and deep over time with other solutions and strategies.

Strong emotional problem with a single, simple solution to begin the relationship.

Just my thoughts.

Nope. Because I know what he'll say.

1st, he'll ask me where I got it from.

2nd, he'll state that what is left behind doesn't matter. It's all about the follow up by phone.

If this is read by the owner, it should get their attention and they should take your call when you call back.

I would never expect someone to call me because I happened to leave a flyer. Maybe a fax back? Add a form at the bottom and see what happens?

Remember a recent post he made (maybe today). It's all about selling the need. Solutions are easy.

To me, this seems to fit the bill.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If someone else wants to post it there, I wouldn't have any objection. Just don't link it back to me or this thread. It's not my own original work anyway.

Credit should be given to Helen Jenkin's MDRT presentations in 2006 & 2007.

I seem to get on Rick's crap list rather easily. I'm reading more than posting on TGP.

Last edited:
Nope. Because I know what he'll say.

1st, he'll ask me where I got it from.

2nd, he'll state that what is left behind doesn't matter. It's all about the follow up by phone.

If this is read by the owner, it should get their attention and they should take your call when you call back.

I would never expect someone to call me because I happened to leave a flyer. Maybe a fax back? Add a form at the bottom and see what happens?

Remember a recent post he made (maybe today). It's all about selling the need. Solutions are easy.

To me, this seems to fit the bill.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If someone else wants to post it there, I wouldn't have any objection. Just don't link it back to me or this thread. It's not my own original work anyway.

Credit should be given to Helen Jenkin's MDRT presentations in 2006 & 2007.

I seem to get on Rick's crap list rather easily. I'm reading more than posting on TGP.

DHK, I agree with your post except for the part about being on Ricks's Crap list...And I think everyone besides Rick does more reading than posting.

........I seem to get on Rick's crap list rather easily. I'm reading more than posting on TGP.

Who's Rick?????? Just kidding. I myself have been on that list a few times but honestly I think he wants to help us. If we are over analytical, engaging too much avoidance behaviour, or over complicate things there is a high likelihood that we will hear about it. The really big no no's are breaking anonymity and pirating posts from TGP and posting them elsewhere. Short quotes are o.k. with proper recognition.

I do more reading than posting on Topgunproducers.

Last edited:
DHK, I think you're right on what Rick would say, but it's a damned fine piece in my opinion.

Xrac....I also know what he'd say about yours and I'd probably agree. Why are you changing #4 and #5? Which is more likely to get a response, 4. Voluntary Resignation
5. Involuntary Termination or 4. Voluntary SALE and 5. Bankruptcy?

Bankruptcy is last because you have a good chance that they will ask you how in the world you protect against that...especially with our economic environment. #4 is stated the way it is because owners want to know HOW to sell.

Back