Local marketing ideas

I want a van - have thought of that idea for years. Grab an old van and slap a fantastic paint job on it advertising quotes. It really wouldn't be that expensive - $10,000 probably - $6,000 for the van and another $4,000 for a fantastic paint job with great graphics. The best thing about that is you can park it in various parking lots - like right by the entrance of a popular mall or grocery store.....that is, until you get a call from the property manager:-)

You could use the sign truck idea and pay someone to drive the van around during the day. Although I have a feeling insurance rates would put the damper on that idea.

Insert cool paint job and graphics

quotevantk7.jpg

Hey, Liberty Tax Service has a Mini Cooper with that wrap around photo thing like they use on some buses around here. The paint job is atrocious, but it does attract attention. They keep it parked outside their storefont.

Have you ever just asked a client how did you hear about me........

Man, I knew there was a purpose for this board. I never thought of that - I could get a few different domain names and use a different addy when I do various advertising and be able to track all of it. Outstanding. Right now I get a lead through my site and I have no idea if it's from an ad, flyer, doorhanger, etc...

Good stuff John...some food for thought.

As far as BNI, I have had very good success with them. If you want to join a group, visit SEVERAL before you join. They are all very different. Some are dynamic...and some...anemic. If you join, don't expect to knock it out of the park in a month or two. For disciplines like insurance, financial, CPA's etc., the ramp up time can be 6+ months for it to make a significant impact on your business. There is a lot of risk in getting the wrong insurance guy, cpa, financial person etc., so be realistic about the amount of referrals you receive in the beginning. You will have to build your credibility with the other members. Some disciplines like computer repair, bakers etc. have a very short ramp up time...so don't compare insurance to them.

Look for a group that is diverse. My group has a dentist, welder, baker, payroll processor, electrician, psychologist, car rental lady, house cleaner, concrete worker, carpet cleaner, banker, real estate agent, appraiser...you get the idea. Look for a good mix of blue collar and white collar professionals. Don't focus only on selling to the group...those are many times NOT the best referrals. You want to get to know who THEIR customers are. Once you build your credibility, the good members will set up warm leads for you.

Prospecting for Group Health: Find other people that talk to the same people you want to talk to. Call several payroll processing companies in your town and take their top sales people out to lunch. Many of them are trying to replace administaff and other PEO companies. The payroll people many times do not offer insurance (or if they do...they don't want to mess with it), and you can help them offer a more complete package to their customers.

More Prospecting: When meeting new people, ask them..."What kind of work do you do?" "Where do you find most of your business?" "What kind of people do you like to network with to find that business?" Get them talking about what THEIR interests are. Tell them about people that you know that they might want to talk to...then work the conversation around to what you do. People really don't care about you unless they have a sense that you care about them. I found that this works much better than throwin' down a "30 second elevator speech" on some poor schleb who's major goal is how fast he can get to happy hour.

Have you ever just asked a client how did you hear about me........

Leads that come through my site and like most leads - get a hold of very few of 'em. Yes, for the ones I reach I ask. But I'd still like to know how the other 7 out of 10 people heard about my site who don't respond to my calls or emails.

In fact, with different websites I could track that. I could track different types of campaigns. Maybe one campaign only generates "shoppers" and only 3 out of 20 pick up the phone where with a different campaign 6 out of 20 answer.

In fact, with different websites I could track that. I could track different types of campaigns. Maybe one campaign only generates "shoppers" and only 3 out of 20 pick up the phone where with a different campaign 6 out of 20 answer.

Yes, yes, absolutely.

This is why companies have used different toll-free numbers over the years. The best "lead" source may NOT be the one that converts most efficiently into apps...

The Bear? I just noticed that. I miss that guy...although I'm still steamed how one of his teams kept Penn State from winning the National Championship. I can see that play in my mind. I think Barry Krauss was the LB, but I'm not sure.

Bob, Still no sales 100% attributable to the magnets. It's still a sucess in my opinion, around 300 impressions last year for 90.00 investment.

Back