Looking for Agency/advice

pdelasal

Hello! I am brand new to the forum but have been reading the post for a long time. I am sure I am the 1,000,000 person to ask this but I need some starting out advice. I have been in sales for many years and now that I have my P/C and Life/Health licenses I am looking to start my career. Yes, sales have been in mortgage banking but I am so burned out after so many years. Hey, if I am getting out in this great market you can tell I am serious! I will still hang my NMLS with a broker for referals but as far as going after new biz it will all be insurance. So, here is what I am looking for - I don't want to be captive, I have no intention of opening up a Farmers or State Farm. I am looking for an independent agency where I can get some initial training on the everyday part of it (computer systems, etc). As far as my knowledge of insurance it is up there because I really have been soaking in everything I can and especially with Homeowners since it is something that I have been dealing with for years. I would like to stick with the personal and commercial lines. I am a smart cookie, total people person (as much as I hate that phrase!) and great at marketing. I have lots of outlets for business and my kids are in sports and my husband works for the studios (I am located in LA/San Fernando Valley). Any advice or someone that thinks they could be a good fit or knows who would be will be very much appreciated!!

Thanks!
Pauline D.;)

If you don't want to work for a captive insurance company look for brokers in your area, start reaching out and see if they are looking for producers. Interview them and see if they have the time or resources to train you properly and provide you with some incentive. Most brokers will not offer any kind of start up salary but it is possible to find, also benefits are very limited when working for a broker as well.

What is your ultimate goal, work as a producer and build a book or open your own agency and build your own book ?

Thank you for the advice and yes I am in California. I am ok with commission only, I just want to make sure that I am getting a good deal. What would be a good split for a new agent?

First step is find the exact industry you want to be in. ie; p&c, life, annuities, final expense, mortgage protection. From there interview with companies. You will do fine.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Thank you for the advice and yes I am in California. I am ok with commission only, I just want to make sure that I am getting a good deal. What would be a good split for a new agent?

Each program is different.

You can get a 100-110 even a 120 with experience with a company that provides nothing but the info of the carriers. Or You can get 70-90 or more sometimes with a company that has a lead program. So if you are a pro prospector and can get in front of 15-20 people a week without leads than go the route of the big number, if you want to gurantee getting infront of 15 people a week then go the lead IMO route.

Last edited:
That is good to know. I don't have "out in the streets" experience yet but I do have contacts (mortgage industry) and I am very used to prospecting for business.

pdelasal said:
That is good to know. I don't have "out in the streets" experience yet but I do have contacts (mortgage industry) and I am very used to prospecting for business.

I'm thinking of branching out to Cali. I own an independent agency here in Arizona. We should talk. [email protected].

i dont have any expirence whatsoever lol
cant wait for my licence test next week!
then in on the field..
only thing is i dont know what company to work with

Back