Married? No Exchange Subsidy for You!!

Yagents

Guru
5000 Post Club
Arizona
Add "marriage" counselor to our list of new skills needed for the exchange.............this is going to be fun.....

The income measure for subsidy purposes are not based on individuals but rather on families. And that creates a perverse incentive.
"Two singles would each be able to earn $43,000 and still receive help to purchase health insurance, but if they got married and combined their earnings to $86,000, they would be far above the limit," Furchtgott-Roth explained.
So those with that much income as a couple would lose the government subsidies and be on their own for thousands of dollars in health coverage.

Read more: Obama
Obama

If an employer offered a working husband affordable self-only coverage, but family coverage for an out-of-pocket premium that clearly was not affordable, "the rest of the family is not eligible for the PPACA tax credits," the staff members say. "The family would be faced with the decision of buying private coverage at an annual cost exceeding $10,000 for the mom and the kids (unless the kids are covered by the state's [Children's Health Insurance Program] or foregoing insurance and being forced to pay the tax penalty instituted by the health care law for individuals who lack health insurance."
If the current rules and rule interpretations prevail, the percentage of married couples that qualify for the tax credit may be as low as 3.3%, the staff members estimate.

Republicans: PPACA Tax Credit to Favor Singles | LifeHealthPro

Last edited:
"And Sara Collins, an economist who analyzes health insurance for The Commonwealth Fund – a private foundation that aims to improve health care in the country -- added that "when the law is fully implemented, U.S. families will have new, affordable, and comprehensive insurance... options, both in good economic times and in bad."

When I hear that from people, I just link them to this wonderful NJ premium chart for a preview of 2014:

http://www.state.nj.us/dobi/division_insurance/ihcseh/ihcratepage_sp.pdf

The Marriage Penalty for receiving the subsidies is just one more log added on the fire that will burn down this entire health reform monstrosity.

Yesterday's public poll shows that the law has hit a dramatically new low in public opinion.

Ref: Healthcare law's popularity hits new low - The Hill's Healthwatch

And this Poll was taken BEFORE the Subsidy Marriage Penalty was revealed. I hope the Supreme Court justices are paying attention to all of this!

-AC
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
New financial incentive for divorce and avoiding marriage. :(

Our family tax guy says that it's beneficial from a tax-credit point of view to be married..filing jointly. But, this health insurance subsidy penalty probably negates the benefit of "Married Filing Jointly". I think you can live with a gay partner and get all the goodies though! Special loopholes.
-ac

Last edited:
Wait this is great news for single men, "honey, we cant get married or we will lose our subsidized health insurance".......

dgoldenz, is that New Jersey rate sheet current pricing?

Anyone got New York?

I work a ton of states, but we stay out of those markets. Its kinda funny talking to people up there when they learn what their politicians have done to them on this stuff, most of them have no clue.

dgoldenz, is that New Jersey rate sheet current pricing?

Anyone got New York?

I work a ton of states, but we stay out of those markets. Its kinda funny talking to people up there when they learn what their politicians have done to them on this stuff, most of them have no clue.

It appears those are the October 2011 current rates. Don't think NY has a rate sheet anywhere but the rates are equally ridiculous. I wonder how many people are signed up for the $85k/year health insurance policy.

Actually, these 'semi-penalties' work both ways.
In a more usual circumstance, one spouse far out-earns the other. So one making $50K by themselves would not be eligible, but combine them with a spouse making $10K and they would be eligible for subsidy.

Of course, its likely the $10K spouse would lose medicaid, but not many lose sleep over getting something more useful.

Dan

At the top of the "Subsidy Calculator" page, it states that policies sold on the exchange will have richer benefits and cost less than policies sold outside the exchange. Not sure I agree with the "cost less" assumption/prediction.
Ref: Health Reform Subsidy Calculator - Kaiser Health Reform

This updated summary of healthcare reform is a real eye-opener. It looks like there are a lot of penalties in the Affordable Care Act that people will become aware of as we get closer to 2014.

Link: http://www.kff.org/healthreform/upload/8061.pdf

-AC

Back