Married? No Exchange Subsidy for You!!

That's not the issue - the coverage offered to dependents & spouses is "unaffordable" . . . . far exceeding the "affordable" threshold of 9.5%, but they still can't split off & apply for coverage & get a subsidy. Not right . . . .:nah:

Huh? this family doesn't make a lot of money & his insurance is unaffordable. You think they should not have a chance at a subsidy? They overpay - much more than their fair share & always have? I guess I don't understand your comment. . . .

This is an inequitable situation for sure. Quite a while ago (I'd estimate about 12 to 18 months ago), we found this "family glitch" and dissected it in detail on this forum. It wasn't well publicized at the time, and many people believed it wasn't real. But then the government issued regs verifying it. It's an absolute shame, but even a family with very low income will not qualify for a subsidy if they are ELIGIBLE FOR an employer-sponsored group plan that is both affordable and adequate. Worse yet, "affordable" is based on 9.5% of the full family household MAGI income, but only on the self-only (employee-only) premium without regard to the cost to add dependents. This often makes the premium technically affordable, but functionally unaffordable. A lot is written on this forum about the family glitch, and there are many articles in the press about it. Just google "family glitch" and a lot of good articles come up.

Back